Tips & Tricks: Make your battery last longer

Using apps like CoPilot Live which use the GPS receiver in your smartphone can cause your battery life to decrease quite rapidly. We’d always recommend using an in car charger for longer car journeys where possible.

The greatest drain on your battery is caused by having your phone’s screen switched-on on all the time, as well as the continuous “re-drawing” of the map as you move – which in CoPilot’s case occurs several times per second. However, there’s a number of things you can do when using CoPilot Live Premium to extend your battery life if you’re travelling on foot or don’t have a car charge.

1) Turn the brightness of the screen down. Today’s high-resolution vibrant colour smartphone displays are one of the key factors in battery usage. Try turning the brightness down to around 50% and you should see your battery lasting longer.

2) Enable ‘Power Saving’ mode in CoPilot. A feature we introduced into CoPilot Live Premium with a free app update recently, the power saver mode updates the map screen display less frequently and in turn causes less drain on the battery. The trade-off is that your movement along the map will seem a little less smooth than normal, however this will significantly reduce battery consumption. You can switch to ‘Always use low power mode’ for optimum battery performance or automatically switch to low power when the battery drops to 30%.

3) Use Directions view. If you mainly rely on voice guidance or are travelling on main roads with long distances between turns, then switch to CoPilot Live’s Directions view. Directions view only shows you a map when you are close to a turn, with a turn indicator and distance countdown to displayed at other times. This guidance mode updates the map view the least freqently and is the best way to save power.

Have any other battery saving tips? Share them in the comments below!

This entry was posted in Tips & Tricks and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Rob T
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

How about adding an option “Use low power mode between junctions”, which will automatically update more frequently near junctions where it’s more important, but will update less frequently on long stretches of open road, where it doesn’t matter so much?

2. Noli
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Just want to say well done to the devs for being conscious of this issue and developing solutions.

Also, good idea Rob T!

3. GB
    Posted June 15, 2012 at 1:51 am | Permalink

My Droid 3 runs extremely hot when using CoPilot live in the car, with the USB plug in the 12V socket.

I keep my Wifi off when in the car. I do not have Bluetooth turned on. I do keep the cell service on. And obviously the GPS is on. No other apps are running when I use CoPilot (other than VZW bloatware that can’t be killed off in the background.)

I have used other mapping apps with GPS that do not heat my phone like this. It seems quite anomalous. CoPilot Live is the only app I’ve ever use that produces heat to this degree — it’s an order of magnitude hotter than any other app.

I have tried keeping CoPilot in Power Saving mode, and dropping the screen brightness. I’ll give Directions View a try and see what happens.

• Christian
      Posted June 15, 2012 at 10:52 am | Permalink

I haven’t seen any other reports of problems with it running extremely ho. It sounds like you’ve done everything we’ve suggested to keep the power usage to a minimum so I can’t think of anything else to suggest at this time. I’ll mention this to the product management team though – thanks for the feedback.

• Kevin
        Posted August 6, 2012 at 7:40 am | Permalink

Mine runs quite hot as well. I have disabled everything I don’t need, turned down the brightness, and it still gets hotter than any other app. My phone is a Motorola Defy runnind Android.

• Mittaa
        Posted September 15, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Heat and battery usage have been reduced since Power Settings was added.
        But in my experience Copilot still is generating too much heat and even with car charger you will eventually ran out of battery on longer trips (5-6 hours)!
        I have a rooted phone, and a kernel that allows me to tweak CPU, so on my next trip I will try to lower max CPU in order to see if this help.
        Of course we all would like a common solution!

BTW when will we get next MAP update … if ever ?
        Thanks :-)

• Peter I
        Posted October 28, 2012 at 1:04 am | Permalink

I installed Copilot a week ago, and used it yesterday for the first time. My phone (Samsung Galaxy 2) got very hot and automatically turned off charging due to too high temperature. Same problem again today. I have had several other navigation programs installed and used on long journeys but never this problem before. It also drains the battery very fast. This is a major problem, and I can not see any other cause than Copilot. Too bad, since the functionality is very good, but that does not help if you can not use it due to the heating issue.

4. Neil
    Posted September 14, 2012 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

I was just told by technical support that “overheating is a hardware problem not a software problem.” Curiously, I have owned this Motorola Razr Maxx for six weeks. I have a dozen (or so) apps installed including a battery/heat monitor. I have enjoyed a very cool running phone until yesterday when I installed CoPilot Premium. Now, even when I’m not using the GPS or CoPilot, the unit is heating up significantly. This past six weeks, I have never had a heat alarm triggered once (as monitored from the temperature app) but in the last two days I’ve had eleven! Nothing new has been done to the phone for about 3 weeks (e.g., no new apps) until yesterday when CoPilot was installed. Too obvious a coincidence for my liking. I think trying to blame “the hardware” is a nice way of having not to deal with the issue. I would be interested in hearing from others with this issue. Maybe then engineering might discover that software might actually be the culprit!

5. George
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 11:39 am | Permalink

I also suffer from quite amazing heat problems with CoPilot on and plugged in the car. So much so, I won’t put the phone in my pocket a while after shutting CoPilot down. I’m using an SGS3, which should be more than upto running CoPilot.

6. JBird
    Posted December 3, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Same here on Galaxy S2. Other apps, even those who uses GPS+ internet+ real time local update uses less battery. I guess it’s because it seems that Co Pilot loads all the map at the RAM. Great use, but that is a failure.