CoPilot Live Premium Customer Survey – the results are in

Towards the end of last year we conducted a survey of CoPilot Live Premium customers to help us understand what our customers would like improved in the app and which features people would like to see added. Quite simply we were overwhelmed at the huge number of responses we’ve received, and we’d like to thank everyone who took the time to give us feedback.

Overall we were delighted to see that - 85% of our customers consider themselves are satisfied or very satisfied with CoPilot Live Premium, also that over 70% are very likely to recommend CoPilot to others.

Additional key statistics include:

• 78% of use the Alternate Route Feature and find it useful
  • 75% of you like the user interface
  • 60% of you find the routes calculated by CoPilot are usually or always excellent

We were pleased by the positive sentiment, however we know there’s plenty to do to improve the app. We received a lot of detailed suggestions, and here’s some of the most popular:

Top feature requests:

• Updated maps. The most commonly requested feature was updated maps, and we were happy to oblige with a complimentary map update in December.
  • Music player controls. Many customers missed this feature from CoPilot Live v8 for iPhone. When we designed CoPilot Live Premium, we thought that people would prefer to use iOS multitasking to access iPod, but we were wrong! Music player controls into CoPilot Live Premium in our December update, and we are also investigating ways of providing this for Android too.
  • On-screen compass in driving views. Coming soon!
  • Learning routes. Quite a popular request was the ability for CoPilot to remember the route you take for common journeys. A complex one this, but something we aim to develop for the future.

Things you said we need to improve

• A number of customers asked us how they can update the safety camera database in CoPilot Live Premium. This is actually a quite straightforward task and can be done from Main Menu > MyCoPilot > News & Updates. We aim to post safety cameras updates every 2 weeks. However we recognise that we could make this more obvious and we are working on an automatic update process that we hope to bring to the app in coming months.
  • Navigating without a destination. Many customers told us that they’d like us to improve the way in which CoPilot Live Premium works when a destination is not entered. We made some changes to this in our December update, and there’s more on the way, including the ability to view the status bar at the bottom of the driving screen
  • Make it easier to find POIs on-route or near the destination. Quite a few customers told us that they would like to see this made easier in the app. We agree and are working on this for a future update.
  • Easier access to Bing and Wikipedia. We were quite surprised to learn how few customers actually use our integrated Bing Local Search and Wikipedia features – it seems that many of you didn’t realise that it can be found in POI search. We’ll work to make this more accessible and also add additional sources of useful local content.
  • Drag routes. Many of you told us that you find this feature useful but quite fiddly to use on a smaller smartphone screen. We are on the case to make this easier.

As always, we really value your opinions and thank all those who took part for their feedback. We are continuously working to improve CoPilot, and every update brings features and options based on customer requests when feasible. If we haven’t updated the app with the feature you wanted yet, rest reassured that we’re looking into it. We have some great innovations coming to CoPilot in 2012, and we’ll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts as we continue to improve.

This entry was posted in CoPilot for Android, CoPilot for iPhone & iPad and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. James
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

I’m glad that you guys take feedback seriously. Here’s a big one I notice on many sat nav UIs (not just yours). Very often you sat nav home from an less well known place but when you get to familiar territory you can navigate yourself. I will almost always ‘clear route’ to stop the lady’s voice bugging me now that I know what I’m doing.

But there are about 6 or 7 precision button presses to do this and get back to the map which is *really* cumbersome (and dangerous!) when driving (yes I know you should stop but many people don’t). I think it should be 2 or 3 max and that clear route should be an option on the first pop up menu (I mean most people choose 2D or 3D and stick to it so no idea why that is so prominent).

Also, after pressing clear route, forget a confirmation and go straight back to map – if I wanted to put in a new destination, I would have gone straight for that option anyway. Having to press more buttons to return to map is pointless when it is the 98% likely next choice. Chances of me mis-pressing clear route are rare and I can always go to ‘recent destinations’ easily in the 3% of times that happens.

I literally use the clear route function on about 90% of my return journeys and yet it’s buried in the menu system – so frustrating!

Best, James

• Heps
      Posted January 23, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

James took very good point here!
      I often do the same thing and it could be in fact easier and more accessible to abandon the guidance.
      Very good idea, please consider it to implement.

2. Mike Whitaker
    Posted January 23, 2012 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Pet peeves are still audio related:

1) for a lot of music, the comfortable listening level means the sat nab directions deafen me and my passengers. Is there really NOT a volume setting for guidance?

2) genre-based behaviour when guidance comes on over music – specifically, can I have ‘if genre = podcast then PAUSE’, please?

3. martin
    Posted January 23, 2012 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Agree with the above that its heartening to hear feedback listened too. I have only one suggestion (but it may be that i’m doing it wrong!). When using the active traffic feature, intermittently i get a pop-up telling me that there’s been no change and the current route is still the fastest. This just stays there over the map until i get a chance to clear it by pressing a button. I don’t actually think a “no change” notice is necessary, but if you really have to demonstrate active traffic is giving me my money’s worth then please have the pop-up time out and return the screen back to the map! (of course if this can happen and i’m being a muppet then please A. let me know and/or B. make this setting clearer)

Cheers,
    M

• Heps
      Posted January 23, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Another good point ;)

• Helene
      Posted January 23, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the feedback Martin, interesting indeed! We’ll look into it and see what we can do in the future updates!

4. Posted January 23, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Hi there,

Have used CPL in various guises for a few years now, generally very pleased with it but there is one bug that drives me crazy, pretty much every day.

I know where I am going, 99% of the time, but it’s nice to know the distance remaining etc. For this reason, I usually have it on silent (Mute All Sounds) but after I have received a phone call through my Parrot MKi9200 CPL turns all the sounds back on, interrupting the radio/iPod playback and meaning I have to fumble about to turn it off again. Perhaps an option to select audio output (e.g. iPhone or bluetooth/audio device) would sort this problem? It would also be good if the mute all sounds options DIDN’T mute speed camera alerts – I’m quite happy for these to interrupt anything if it means I’m not racking up tickets across Europe!

I drive about 9000 miles a month between UK and France so if there’s any testing for bugs that needs to be done I can help! I have to say it has crashed on me a few times the past few days, completely froze up. Happens when it’s connected to Wifi (I have mobile dongle in van), or if another app is using GPS.

Finally, an option to toggle the cols (mountain passes) on/off would be great, as CPL often picks roads that are closed through winter for routing.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

Andy

5. Posted January 23, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

A change I’d really like to see or be able to make is the choice of the default three in ‘Find POIs’ in both v8 & v9 the standard choices are
    Restaurant
    Hotel
    Petrol Station

Fot me I’d really like
    PARKING
    Petrol Station

Maybe also
    ATMs too

Both Restaurant & Hotels I tend to pick before you leave, hence tend to be either pre-programed as a favourite before the trip, or either way you select them whilst stationary. Get to them of course, or a town or anything else and you find you quickly need either
    a) Parking b) ATM
    which of course you can only do by start entering the sub menus, which is nigh on impossible to do whilst driving. Please, pretty please, can we either have the default 3 customisable (surely not too hard), or just put PARKING on there. Please. If you make the height a bit smaller, the parking will fit on their as a 4th so as not to upset those that do use hotel/restaurant.

6. Posted January 23, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Oh and another addition, on the alternate routes of course we’ve now lost “avoid toll roads” and “avoid motorways”. I like my car & my driving, and often using those options picks a more scenic route, which of course we can no longer do, and the alternate routes often still want to use either.

7. Bruno Gonçalves
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

It’s possible to save my favorite locals in CoPilot account? If i need to reset the phone, reinstall the app or install the app in another phone with the same google account, this feature is very useful if implemented..

8. Mariusz
    Posted January 28, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

You haven’t mentioned that entering destination address works really poor. For example enter city “Szczecin” (in Poland) and try to find “Lucjana Rydla” street. “Lucjana” is first name, “Rydla” is surname. When you type only “Rydla”, street won’t be found. You have to type the street name from the beginning. In case of “people” street, you have to know the first name!

9. Tom henshall
    Posted February 10, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

I would like to know what is the difference between the original and the premium version. I don’t know which one to purchase. Thanks in advance, Tom