Installing CoPilot Live Premium to a new device or after upgrading your ROM

We’ve had a number of CoPilot Live Premium customers contact us asking how to re-install the app to a new device or after upgrading an Android device ROM. Here’s the steps you’ll need to take to avoid activation issues.

*Please note that we cannot guarantee support for unofficial or pre-release Android ROMs*

1. Uninstall CoPilot Live Premium from your existing device or factory reset the device to completely remove CoPilot Live
2. Delete the following folder from your memory card: com.alk.copilot.* (you need to delete the entire folder from the memory card)

3. On your new device  – or after you have installed your new ROM – please now re-install CoPilot Live from the Android Market. Do NOT perform any kind of restore.

4. Once installed, start CoPilot Live and follow the first run wizard

5. Download the maps again from in-app: My CoPilot > My Maps (do NOT copy the maps across or restore these from a backup)

You should now be able to activate your CoPilot Live Premium app.

This entry was posted in CoPilot for Android, Tips & Tricks and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Oletros
    Posted July 6, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

coPilot can be activated only on ONE device?

2. Havocnl
    Posted July 6, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Why isn’t backup and restore by tools such as Titanium Backup and MyBackup supported any more? This used to work great on version 8 of CoPilot. This is really an annoyance for me, since i upgrade my rom regularly and all my apps can be restored besided this one.

I have to reinstall the app, redownload the maps that i allready have. How can you explain this logic? I understand you have to deactive the license if you are upgrading to a new device. But this is on the same device with the same SD card with data. This makes no sense.

Therefore i ask you to change your app so that restoring the apk files + data + sdcard data will retain full functionality.

regards,

Havocnl
    a happy CoPilot user for 3 years now.

• Marvin
      Posted July 6, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

100% agree

• fumagad
      Posted July 6, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

I bougth an android device to be free to change and experiment new roms and os releases.
      This way, every time I WILL LOOSE ALL MY SETTINGS!!!
      It’s the only app I have with this limitation, how it is possible from a company like you?!

• Richard
      Posted July 17, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

It is very sad! It is necessary to fix this problem!

3. n.tau
    Posted July 8, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

And this is why I demanded my refund.
    This workflow is inacceptable and not covered by your EULA.

4. bouchet
    Posted July 9, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

bonjour je voudrais téléchargé les mises à jour pour mon gps acer p 630 mais je ne les trouve pas .merci de bien vouloir me répondre bonne journée

5. Colin Hillier
    Posted July 15, 2011 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Personally I find the whole thing disgusting. The current app doesn’t work properly, so ALK are proposing a way to try and charge us all for an update which should be free to existing subscribers.

The easy option is to move to TomTom…

6. Leonard
    Posted July 17, 2011 at 9:08 am | Permalink

Does not work with Titanium Backup?!

I totally quote the sentence below from Havocnl:
    “Therefore I ask you to change your app so that restoring the apk files + data + sdcard data will retain full functionality. ”

There are a lot of similar products outside… and also Google Maps now allows to download maps and use them offline!!! So why to pay?!

To have a better product seems to be the response, but…
    So please(!) ALK solve your own bugs! …and allow us to change our ROMs as we like, every time we want to do it, without any strange WORKAROUND stuff!!!

BR,
    Leonard

7. Gattari Massimo
    Posted July 18, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

I agree with negative comment and now I go on the market to penalize this apps with negative comment, very negative.
    Ciao from italy

8. Rene
    Posted July 21, 2011 at 11:28 am | Permalink

you decide to install new roms and experiment with your device. Sure you are allowed, but then you get this as a result. A lot of people don’t install custom roms at a regular interval, so won’t have this issue. If you don’t like it, either stick with copilot 8, stop switching roms or buy TomTom or similair replacement product. I am happy the way it is.

9. Brian Gooch
    Posted July 21, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

Problem at step 4 – “Product key is already in use on another device.”
    [it isn't, it was the same device that it was installed on] “Please
    first deactivate CoPilot from your other device. (error 806)”

10. Oletros
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 8:49 am | Permalink

How can I get a refund?

It’s ridiculous the need to uninstall and resintall the program if I witch between my Galaxy S and my Nexus One

11. Billy
    Posted February 11, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

THIS SO DON,T WORK AND THEY KNOW IT….
    IF YOU PUT THE E MAIL,PASSWORD AND CODE IN WHY THE HELL CAN,T THAT BE EXCEPTED?
    WHAT A JOKE..