CoPilot Live Premium – Some Frequently Asked Questions

It’s been 4 days since we launched CoPilot Live Premium for Android, and we’re naturally pleased to see it storming up the Android Market charts. It looks like our 50% launch discount is proving extremely popular – so much so that our activation servers have been operating close to capacity since Monday.

We’d like to apologise to those of you who have experienced activation issues – for example where you cannot create a CoPilot ID or switch-on the free Personal Connect pack. We are working hard to increase capacity to cope with spikes in demand. If you do encounter an activation error message we recommend waiting 30 minutes and trying again.

It’s also been great to have heard from so many people over the past few days. Hundreds of you have contacted us on Twitter, Facebook, here on the Blog and on our new Community Help forum. Here’s a summary of some of the most frequently asked questions:

1. Is there an upgrade to CoPilot Live Premium and CoPilot Live Standard from v8 or previous versions?

Unfortunately there is currently no way for us to provide a discount to existing customers through Android Market or iTunes. Therefore we are offering the apps at a 50% discount for the first 7 days through Android Market and the CoPilot Live Webstore.  The discounted price will also be available for iTunes customers once the apps are approved by Apple.

2. Why are we charging for the new app?

CoPilot Live Premium is a completely new app, not an update to the existing app. We hope that customers will appreciate that from time to time we need to charge for our latest developments in order to continue creating the very best navigation experience possible. Our existing apps will remain on the app stores and available for existing customers to use as normal. We do think that CoPilot Live represents good value compared with some competitor apps, particularly with the 50% introductory discount

3. What will happen to the v8 apps?

Customers can still continue to use their existing CoPilot Live v8 iPhone, iPad and Android apps as normal.  These apps are not “discontinued” and will remain on the App Store and Android Market as usual.

4. Can v8 maps be used with the new app?

No, v8 or previous version maps are not compatible with CoPilot Live Premium or CoPilot Live Standard.

5. Why is traffic an additional subscription cost?

Unlike the other features in CoPilot Live, Traffic information is provided to us from our partners. It is charged on a subscription basis, not perpetual license. We have tried to offer the 12 month license at the lowest price possiible, significantly less than competitors.

6. When will the iPhone/iPad apps be available?

We are currently awaiting approval from Apple for the iOS versions of CoPilot Live Premium and CoPilot Live Premium HD. We hope they will be available any day now and will announce them here on the Blog as soon as they are.

7. Some of the links are not working on the new CoPilot Live web site. What’s going on?

We have just launched a brand new global web site at www.copilotlive.com. Please bear with us while the new site gets up and running. You may find that you will need to clear your web browser cache in order to see all of the content on the new site correctly.

8. Can I use CoPilot Central desktop software to download maps for CoPilot Live Premium or Standard?

CoPilot Central 2.0 is not currently supported for CoPilot Live Premium or CoPilot Live Standard. Please do not try to use CoPilot Central 2.0. We are currently working on an update for CoPilot Central that will support CoPilot Live Premium and CoPilot Live Standard.

9. Can I transfer my existing Traffic Subscription from CoPilot Live v8 to CoPilot Live Premium?

Yes we are working to enable CoPilot Live v8 customers to be able to transfer their existing traffic subscriptions to CoPilot Live Premium. It is not possible currently for CoPilot Live Premium for Android but will be as soon as possible.

For map downloads for Android, please download inside the app (My CoPilot > My Maps). If you experience any problems, please contact support at http://copilotgps.com/support for additional help.

Keep your questions and comments coming. If you have a question, just let us know and we will try to respond as quickly as possible.

This entry was posted in CoPilot for Android and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Scott Walker
    Posted June 30, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

Can CP8 favourites be imported to CP Premium?

2. Cvet
    Posted June 30, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Hi, ALK team,
    Two days ago, on June 28, I purchased a USA Premium installed it with NA map and Canada map, which I purchased separatelly. I informed you that there was no street showing on the Canadian map and you aknowledged the problem, saying that you were working with Google to fix the problem.
    I have not heard from you since then, so I would like to know when the Canadian map issue will be fixed (by you or Google) and how we will know (how will be the fix distributed)?
    Cvet

3. Cedric
    Posted June 30, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

Same as Cvet: I bought USA Premium and DL both NA and Canada maps (I plan to visit Quebec in 2 weeks), but I was VERY disappointed to see that streets of Canada are close to inexistant. For now I cannot plan to use it while I will be in Montreal, Quebec, Tadoussac, Ottawa, Toronto etc. When trying to enter street names, they are unknown! It is a problem you are going to fix, and do you have a date for that? Thanks for your support.

4. Kris
    Posted July 1, 2011 at 7:25 am | Permalink

Hey! Looking forward to seeing premium, but will we be able to transfer favourites across from v8?

Cheers,

Kris

• wizz
      Posted July 1, 2011 at 9:17 am | Permalink

I haven’t been able to do that, but I have been able to pick up photonav geotagged photo’s from V8, and saved them as Favorites.

• Tim Sergent // Marketing & Communications Manager
      Posted July 1, 2011 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Hi Kris

Yes you can the process for doing so is outlined below:

In Version 8 there is a file called ‘favourites.lst’ which resides in the CoPilot > EU (or NA)>Europe (or other regional folder) > Save.

Then copy this file to CoPilot Live Premium – com.alk.copilot….>EU (or NA) > 2 > Europe (or other regional folder) > Save folder.

• George
        Posted July 4, 2011 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Thanks Tim. Worked a treat.

• Kris
        Posted July 9, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Hey Tim,

Are these instructions for the iPhone v8? I can’t seem to find any CoPilot folders anywhere on my Mac?

Cheers,

Kris

5. wizz
    Posted July 1, 2011 at 9:35 am | Permalink

I’m using a Galaxy Tab 7in tablet, and I have found problems with display alignment on the main menu, where top and bottom are not visible in Landscape mode.

Also in Landscape mode, the Favourites display is unusable because only three items are displayed, two of them being Home and Work, leaving just one item to scroll through the rest of your Favourites.

I guess this is because the program has been designed mainly for a phone using Portrait mode rather than a tablet using Landscape mode, but these screen were fine in V8 in Landscape mode, so they need to be fixed urgently, or V9 will be rejected for tablet use.

With regard to the above….Android Market confirmed that this version was compatible with my GT P1000, so it was somewhat disappointing to find these faults, and suggests that this version was “rushed out” without enough testing taking place.

The screen size alignment program doesn’t seem to save the settings either, so could this be why I am experiencing these problems.

• Sitje
      Posted July 1, 2011 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Wizz!
      Think I had the same problem. I’m sorry, but I have a Dutch version installed, so perhaps the interface is a bit different. In the screen size alignment (don’t use the coin) take the smallest circle. To my suprise, the program did save these settings and I can read the menu’s in a normal way. If it’s to small, try a bit bigger, but ignore the coin-size…
      Let me know if this works…

• wizz
        Posted July 1, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Hi Sitje,
        Yes it does. I had an email from Alk today suggesting I made the circle smaller, and that’s when I found it had worked. But thanks anyway, that certainly does solve the problem.
        I’m also having problems with Speed Alert, and Camera Alert notifications not displaying or giving audible warnings ?
        Are you or anyone else having this problem ?

• Sitje
          Posted July 2, 2011 at 7:32 am | Permalink

Sorry, can’t help you. Have no problems with those options… Good luck.

6. Bryan Chapman
    Posted July 1, 2011 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Need to de-activate this to move to another ROM. The instructions I have found somewhere do not work – menu option nonexistant.

I have raised a support call also, but heard nothing.

YOU want us to pay for your software, then YOU need to support it.

Bought because of the offline map usage, which I needed today, but could not use as I can’t deactivate the install on another ROM

Waste of money for me, I shall be requesting a refund.

7. Mark Meyer
    Posted July 1, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Would be really nice if there would be a way to export My Places from Live 8 and import into Co-Pilot Premium.

• wizz
      Posted July 1, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

Mark, See Tim Sergent’s reply above for the solution…….

8. Kevin Chapple
    Posted July 1, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

Is THIS type of page/preference available with CoPilot 9? It IS on CP8, but not seen any reference to it on v9 info..

9. Usman
    Posted July 2, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

I installed co pilot live premium v9 uk and ireland but its showing.in kilometers not miles any one know how to cbange to in miles

• Steve
      Posted July 9, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

HI Usman

Changing Kilometres to Miles is done as follows:

Main Menu > Settings > Unit Of Measurement/Measure > English (Miles). You have to scrolldown quite a bit to find Unit Of Measure.

Hope that helps :)

10. James D
    Posted July 2, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Will this work on the new HTC Sensation? It is not listed on your supported devices page, but on 13th April you did a blog entry all about the HTC Sensation phone that suggests that it would work?

Thanks.

• David // CoPilot Live Marketing
      Posted July 5, 2011 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Hi James, yes CoPilot Live Premium will work with the HTC Sensation. We are in the process of updating the compatibility list.

11. Posted July 4, 2011 at 8:15 am | Permalink

12. Alessio Musicco
    Posted July 4, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

I’ve an HTC HD2 device with CoPilot preinstalled. Is the CoPilot Live Premium version suitable for my device ?
    Thanks

• David // CoPilot Live Marketing
      Posted July 5, 2011 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Hi – currently CoPilot Live Premium is only available for mobile devices running the Android operating system, not Windows Mobile, so it is not suitable for the HTC HD2.

• Ian Thompson
        Posted July 15, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

David, you say CURRENTLY it is not available for Windows Mobile, is it planned for a future date that a version will be released for WinMob

13. Michael
    Posted July 5, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Any chance of fixing custom POI importing in V9? I put my OV2 file into the SAVE directory and… nothing.

14. 18catz
    Posted July 5, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Is there any news when the iPhone version will be approved by Apple?
    Many Thanks

• David // CoPilot Live Marketing
      Posted July 11, 2011 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Yep – it’s approved and live in iTunes

15. Chris
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 1:13 am | Permalink

Would have bought at the discount rate but not clear if it works for the wifi only 7 inch galaxy tab gt-p1010. As says the iPad version will only work with 3 g model

• Chris
      Posted July 7, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

Is seems to take you several days to answer basic questions if at all! Best not to have an interactive website if you do not have resources to keep it up to date as it raises expectations.

16. mark
    Posted July 8, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

With the launch of v9 (i missed out on 50% offer as phone had crashed for a week) will you still be providing updates for v8 (maps and software versions) as I can’t find the webpage where I used to do this.

17. Bob
    Posted July 9, 2011 at 9:27 am | Permalink

Is it only when you are on route the saftycam is shown?

18. Chris Brighton
    Posted July 10, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Just given Premium a simple journey for a test drive. It seems the poi’s become visible when stationary, which is fine, unfortunately however that includes the speed cameras. They disappear when driving …. not helpful. Speed limits although turned on in settings (as well as safety cameras) give no graphic display or sound alert …. very disappointing.
    ChrisB

• David // CoPilot Live Marketing
      Posted July 11, 2011 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Hi Chris – you should be able to display POIs continuously on the map as follows. In the Settings menu, select Map Display > Show POIs on Map and choose ‘Always

Speed limits should be displayed on main roads – with a warning if you exceed the limit by the mph you specify.
      David

19. Paul
    Posted July 10, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Im a bit dissapointed with copilot in general……………. I have only just purchased copilot Hd for the Ipad (about a month or so ago.) and you bring out a new app ? there should be an upgrade option or at the very least a discounted version for recent purchasers like myself….

Or have I missed something obvious ?

• David // CoPilot Live Marketing
      Posted July 11, 2011 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Hi Paul, there is no mechanism for us to provide a discount to existing iOS customers via iTunes (although we wish there was). Therefore we are offering the new app at a 50% discount for the first 7 days.

20. Richard Duheaume
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Still no sign of Live Premium for Windows Mobile!

21. James
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

If I buy the iPhone version can I use it on my iPad. Or if I buy the iPad version can I use it on my iPhone. Nit keen on paying twice for the product

Thanks

22. Kim F. Lingjærde
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

I have the v8 version, and will be purchasing the new. I have both iPhone and iPad, and although my main navigation unit will be the iPhone in the car, I’d like the iPad as well: Does the offer include both versions?

Thanks

23. jonathan thombs
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

Hi

Is there a way in the new version (as in v8) to display the speed you are travelling when in map only mode i.e. not naviagating ?

Thanks

24. Andy
    Posted July 12, 2011 at 8:36 am | Permalink

Where’s the music player? V8 had an integrated music player option – this is not part of the new v9 version (or it’s hidden so well I can’t find it). This is a big omission – please fix it.

25. Posted November 11, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

Why is that American women are portrayed in music videos as frivolous and promiscuous? Why is that American women are portrayed in music videos as frivolous and promiscuous?

26. Posted November 15, 2011 at 12:56 am | Permalink

How to unlock iPhone 4 with verizon sim card in USA ? Do they sell Factory UNLOCK Iphone 4 IN Brussels ?