App Update: CoPilot Live UK/Ireland for iPhone

iPhone 4

Some good news for CoPilot Live UK and Ireland iPhone app users: our latest free app update has been approved by Apple and is available to download from the app store immediately.

This latest update brings some performance improvements and fixes based on customer feedback, including:

• Better memory usage which improves performance for those customers using optional Text to Speech voice directions
  • Improvements to tunnel guidance mode
  • Fixes postcode issues reported by some customers in Plan/Edit trip

To download the update, simply go to iTunes on your desktop computer or App Store on your iPhone.

We’d like to thank all of you who continue to provide us with such valuable feedback for our iPhone apps and other versions of CoPilot Live. Updates for all of our other regions should be approved and launched soon.

This entry was posted in CoPilot for iPhone & iPad. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Paul
    Posted October 28, 2010 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Does this mean that Text to Speech voice should no longer “disappear”? This has happened to me quite frequently and I must completely close and relaunch the app otherwise I get no voice directions at all!

Also, with the live traffic, should the app automatically send me on a detour around poor traffic conditions? I find the app is happy to alert me with “traffic incident reported” whilst on my journey, but it seems you must manually set up an detour around it through the various menus – impossible to do whilst driving! Am I missing something here?

2. The Carrot
    Posted October 28, 2010 at 10:23 am | Permalink

@Paul:
    CoPilot doesn’t automatically detour you around traffic incidents.
    When Traffic incidents are received, the Traffic Bar should pop up on the right.

1- Tap the Traffic Bar to see incidents on your route.
    2- Select serious incidents (e.g. congestion for more than 1 mile) by tapping on the large green arrow on the left of each incident.
    3- This marks them to be detoured around (the arrow will now be red)
    4- Then tap OK to see the new suggested route (it’ll show you the added time at the bottom)
    5- Finally, tap ‘Accept’ to go with the new route.

• Paul
      Posted October 28, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Thanks The Carrot. You’ve actually cleared up something for me as I wasn’t sure which of the red and green arrow meant detour as the icons are a bit ambiguous. I hope automatic detours are added in a future update as I think other navigation applications have this feature, and it’s not save to be going through menus whilst driving; I need a copilot to use copilot for me!!

• Paul
        Posted October 28, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

safe* rather than save…

3. Posted October 29, 2010 at 9:33 am | Permalink

Does this update do anything to address the thunderously loud spoke instruction in relation to the volume of music? I’ve seen other comments about this on other CoPilot updates. I’m using the latest version before today’s update… and I have to mute CoPilot because when music is loud enough to enjoy the spoken instructions are deafening.

If you have not addressed this very significant problem yet, are you intending to? And if you have… thanks!

4. Mark Coyle
    Posted October 31, 2010 at 6:15 am | Permalink

I want to like the iPhone app but I’m close to deleting it because I can’t see how to plan a trip starting from a point other than the one I’m currently at.

Example – right now I’m at home in Glasgow. I want to plan a trip between two points in London. Every time I try to do this in the app, it plans the route from my home in Glasgow.

I’ve pored over the user manual and searched online for instructions on how to do this but unless I’m going blind, it’s nowhere to be found.

Can ANYONE tell me how to do this?

Thanks.

• Tim Sergent // Marketing & Communications Manager
      Posted November 1, 2010 at 2:44 am | Permalink

Hi Mark

From the first page on the main the menu, us the blue arrow buttons in the right hand corner to go to the second menu page. The ‘Plan or Edit Trip’ feature is the top tile in the left hand corner.

In this you’ll be able to plan point to point for your London trip.

Hope this helps

Tim Sergent

• Mark Coyle
        Posted November 1, 2010 at 3:10 am | Permalink

Tim, tried that many times over. It always makes the starting point where I am at that moment.

Truly, I’m stumped – and I’m not daft at these things, promise!

• Mark Coyle
        Posted November 1, 2010 at 3:17 am | Permalink

Just tried it again. I went to Plan/Edit trip and touched “Add Stop”.

I’m at White City in west London right now so I chose my home address in Glasgow.

Then I touched “Add Stop” again and chose Glasgow Airport.

When I touched “Go” it planned the route from White City to Glasgow Airport.

What am I missing?

• Dean Murphy
      Posted November 2, 2010 at 6:43 am | Permalink

Hi Mark,

When in the “Plan or Edit Trip” option you can tap a Stop and a menu will appear, to remove this from your Trip simply tap the Trash Can icon at the bottom left of the pop-up window. This window also allows you to re-order your stops and also set one as a waypoint. This is useful if you know that you want to get from A to B via C but not stop there.

I normally select Show Route when I have planned my journey to show me a route overview and a summary.

I hope this helps.

5. fuiseog
    Posted October 31, 2010 at 9:43 am | Permalink

the latest update does not seem to be available to me either on itunes nor iphone.
    is there something extra that i should do to get it or is it too soon after the release?

6. Martin
    Posted November 1, 2010 at 9:20 am | Permalink

It does work but you need to push ‘Show Route’. If you hit ‘Go’, it guides you to your staet point first.

Hope this helps.

M

7. Dean Murphy
    Posted November 2, 2010 at 6:48 am | Permalink

If I have one complaint about CoPilot is that the default journey estimates are too long. I have created a new Routing Profile to improve this but it still isn’t as good as my wife’s TomTom unit as there is no concept of peak travel times like the TomTom IQ Routes feature.

Since the update the “OK” and “X” buttons disappear from the screen that allows you to adjust the road speeds after you have scrolled down the list. I think this is a minor UI issue as the area of the screen is still active so I can save my changes by tapping the bottom right-hand corner. If I rotate the device the buttons appear again.

8. Mike Sims
    Posted November 2, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

I recently purchased the text to speech option for my iphone 3G. It appears to be activated, yet I hear nothing different from normal. There are no voices with an asterisk available, which probably doesn’t help, and no means to download such a voice. The new release hasn’t changed anything in this regard.

What am I doing wrong?

Also, the waypoint option has a flaw. When approaching a location set as destination, CoPilot recognises that I have arrived when I close to within about 50 yards of the location. But when I approach the same location set as a waypoint, CoPilot recognises that I have arrived when I am still about a mile away! This often means I then get routed to my next location without actually having got anywhere near my intended waypoint. Surely this behaviour cannot be correct?

9. Mike Sims
    Posted November 3, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

I now have the TTS working, after I followed the info in the FAQ on the CoPilot website, but there were more steps involved than listed. After my licenses were re-activated, the TTS icon was greyed out, and I then had to restore the TTS license.Once I did that, TTS was active, and I found a new voice in the Voices menu, Eleanor, which had an asterisk!

10. Terry
    Posted November 3, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

I have the same query as fuiseog which hasn’t been answered on here yet – why is it that the update isn’t showing on either iTunes or my iPhone yet when you emailed me last week to say it was available on both immediately? I posted this question on facebook and didn’t get an answer there either.

Please let us know if there is something we have to do differently this time to find the update on iTunes or if it isn’t really available yet after all….

• Tim Sergent // Marketing & Communications Manager
      Posted November 4, 2010 at 5:22 am | Permalink

Hi Terry

Can I check which region it is you currently have installed? UK+Ireland or the European version?

Regards

Tim Sergent

11. Blister
    Posted November 6, 2010 at 3:19 am | Permalink

Hello,

I seem to lose my voice prompts if I receive or make a call whilst on a journey. I have a bluetooth headset, and although I want the voice prompts muted whilst actually on the call, they don’t come back after the call. I need to navigate the menus to uncheck the mute box every time. Having to navigate menus while driving is a safety risk.