The latest CoPilot Live v8 release for iPhone now available

Our latest iPhone app update has been approved by Apple and is now available for all regions and the European app as a free download from the AppStore.

Based on customer feedback, the update brings you various performance benefits including improved memory usage and the ability to switch-off background location.

You may have installed our previous update which introduced support for iOS4 multi-tasking and background location. However, many customers have discovered that keeping GPS running while using other apps can significantly affect the iPhone’s battery life.

This new update adds a setting that allows you to switch-off background location, so CoPilot Live will immediately stop using the iPhone’s GPS receiver if you leave the app. The moment you go back into CoPilot Live it will connect to GPS again. To switch-off background location in CoPilot Live, simply select Menu > Settings > Background Navigation.

You can of course still close CoPilot Live completely using multi-tasking (accessed by double clicking the iPhone home button).

Thank you for choosing CoPilot Live navigation for your iPhone

This entry was posted in CoPilot for iPhone & iPad and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. ramzez
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 3:54 am | Permalink

Excellent, however who is in charge of your usability ? having all this options as a separate menu is settings is just confusing.

2. Posted September 15, 2010 at 4:13 am | Permalink

Will upgrade, but have to agree with ramzez that you seriously need to look at usability. e.g. A ‘battery below 30%’ message that I have to click away while driving at 70Mph is a safety hazard, the fact that the iPhone pre-empts this message with its own pop-up only makes matters worse.

3. ronald archer
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 9:51 am | Permalink

since i updated on the 15th September 2010 copilot will not log into gps keeps saying no gps available even though other navigation products working working ok. Looked on the gps tab in settings even though it has got figures for longtitude and latitude it says no gps.

• Tim Sergent // Marketing & Communications Manager
      Posted September 16, 2010 at 3:35 am | Permalink

Hi Ronald sorry to hear you’re having problems with CoPilot and GPS – there are some tips here http://blog.copilotlive.net/?p=1865 to try and improve GPS location. If this doesn’t help, can you contact our support team on http://www.copilotlive.com/support.

• Kev
      Posted September 17, 2010 at 7:53 am | Permalink

I’ve been getting the message no GPS signal too. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. I’ve lost the traffic information that I paid extra for too!!! Very annoying.

4. AJC
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

I updated Copilot with the latest release today (15 Sep 10) and the option to switch-off ‘background location’ is not there after following Menu > Settings > Background Navigation.

• Tim Sergent // Marketing & Communications Manager
      Posted September 16, 2010 at 3:33 am | Permalink

Hi AJC

The Back Ground Navigation tick box is the one to switch of background location.

Regards

Tim Sergent

• Arfa Brayne
        Posted September 16, 2010 at 11:35 am | Permalink

I downloaded latest update today but I don’t even get the background navigation option in settings. Can you help please?

• Arfa Brayne
      Posted September 16, 2010 at 11:32 am | Permalink

I did the same today but in my case I do not even have the “background navigation” option showing!!!
      Still, al in all a great app – well worth the money and suits me better than tom tom.

5. Stewart
    Posted September 16, 2010 at 12:41 am | Permalink

The iPhone 3G issue of not TTS is still there – happened under iOS 3.1.3, 4.0 and now 4.1 with the latest versions of CoPilot. When will this be fixed?

6. Mark
    Posted September 16, 2010 at 7:48 am | Permalink

can we please get a separate volume for navigation as it is too loud when listening to music on the iPhone
    thanks

• Arfa Brayne
      Posted September 16, 2010 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Hiya Mark. I assume that you have already used menu- settings – sound and chosen “reduce music volume during voice prompt”? If you have then, sorry, I don’t understand ‘cos it works great for me!

• Arfa Brayne
        Posted September 16, 2010 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Sorry Mark. I meant of course choose “no voice prompts whilst music is playing” – sorry – doh!!!!(check out my nickname eh?)

7. BRIAN HUNTER
    Posted September 17, 2010 at 1:40 am | Permalink

I am at a complete loss with your latest update. All my other apps CLOSE when I press the Home button. Not yours, why. Whats all this rubbish about pressing the home button twice to leave the app, even that does not work. Can’t your IT department just keep things simple, Home button closes the app, double press on the home button keeps it running but lets you multitask.

Second item. Every time you release an update I and expect everyone looses their Favourites. Can’t you introduce a back up so we don’t loose this as we build this up over time and is VERY important. Can you imagine if Apple updated their Address book and we lost all our contacts.

• Christian Oliff // European Webmaster
      Posted September 22, 2010 at 7:23 am | Permalink

Brian – If you don’t like that it doesn’t stop the GPS from being used, then simply tick the new option in Settings to disable it. Some users prefer it on, and some prefer it off.

If you are on the iPhone home screen, double-tap the Home button to bring up your multitasking apps. You’ll see that all your recently run apps are there. You can close the apps from there.

8. Adrian
    Posted September 17, 2010 at 10:16 am | Permalink

Hi, I’m running the latest version on my iPhone. I have a problem. When I use a contact for destination, the key pad pops and then doesn’t disappear! It say up even after hitting go ( only visible in landscape mode)
    I’ve quit the app, and restarted the phone but it still happens.
    Can you help??

9. Alistair
    Posted September 17, 2010 at 11:31 am | Permalink

My live traffic button in the menu is greyed out and has never been working, I did not know it had traffic until I saw the button when looking around the menus….. Can’t find any support for this issue…. How do I turn it on??

• Alistair
      Posted September 17, 2010 at 11:43 am | Permalink

I am also unable to access the co-pilot store….

• Tim Sergent // Marketing & Communications Manager
      Posted September 20, 2010 at 8:41 am | Permalink

Hi Alistair

If you’re have issues with your Traffic subscription, can you contact our support team on http://www.copilotlive.com/support

Regards

Tim Sergent

10. Andy
    Posted September 18, 2010 at 11:45 am | Permalink

I’ve just purchased CoPilot and went off to ‘road test’ it. I am wondering where to get updates for the maps when I find that a main traffic route, completed over a year ago is not even marked. The roundabouts at each end of the new road where they meet the other roads are there. When I turned onto the road, CoPilot seemed to get quite confused until I turned onto an older road which it recognised.
    Before I got to the new road it attempted to send me down a road that is now a no through road.
    Cheers

• Tim Sergent // Marketing & Communications Manager
      Posted September 20, 2010 at 8:38 am | Permalink

Hi Andy

Thanks for the feedback. Road specifics can be reported back to our Support team at http://www.copilotlive.com/support

Regards

Tim Sergent

11. Brett
    Posted September 20, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

This update STILL doesn’t fix the “Not enough memory for TTS” issue on iPhone 3G, despite the promise of “improved memory usage”. It does [sometimes] let you enable it, but then you get no voice prompts at all. More typically, the TTS voices aren’t available with a “Not enough memory for TTS” error displayed.

This has been a known problem for 3 months now (since the release of iOS 4) and it’s still not fixed.

• Tim Sergent // Marketing & Communications Manager
      Posted September 21, 2010 at 1:31 am | Permalink

Hi Brett

Can you try this:

Go into settings and check that your “Say welcome to CoPilot Live” option is checked in the sound menu. Then restart the application. This should bring back TTS.

Regards

Tim Sergent

12. Brett
    Posted September 21, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

That makes no difference.

The Language/Voice settings has the error message “Full-text voices unavailable. Not enough memory.”

The TTS voices don’t appear there at all. If I reset the TTS licences, I can sometimes get them to reappear, but they never work and that error message appears again anyway.

• Tim Sergent // Marketing & Communications Manager
      Posted September 22, 2010 at 3:56 am | Permalink

Hi Brett

Sorry to hear that. Can you contact our support team on http://www.copilotlive.com/support

Regards

Tim Sergent

• Brett
        Posted September 28, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

I’ve contacted your support teams, multiple times. With zero response.

13. Dimirll
    Posted September 23, 2010 at 5:59 am | Permalink

Awesome update, the address search engine now works easily and I prefer copilot over my Garmin’s
    This app is now a solid 10 out of 10 for me!

14. Andre
    Posted September 23, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

Well since the latest update I get no voice whatsoever even TTS unless I go into settings and set the language again, I have to do this every time I use copilot. It’s just not on. The app obviously don’t get tested prior to release. This needs updating once again ASAP.

One Trackback