CoPilot Live and iOS 4 – update

We were very pleased to see that our CoPilot Live app update was approved by Apple over the weekend, bringing support for iPhone 4 and multitasking in iOS4.

Thanks to everyone who contacted us over the weekend – we’d like to respond to a couple of common comment threads:

CoPilot Live does not exit when you press the iPhone ‘Home’ button. One of the key enhancements brought by iOS4 is multitasking – the ability to run more than one application at a time on an iPhone. With CoPilot Live, this enables you to receive navigation guidance when on a phone call or while using other apps.

However, as some have pointed out, there might be many instances where you would want to exit CoPilot rather than keep it running in the background – not least to conserve battery power.

CoPilot Live is already designed to switch-off GPS receiving after 10 minutes if a position fix is not detected for 10 minutes or more. But there is a way to exit CoPilot Live completely. For those of you still getting to grips with iPhone multitasking, here’s how:

1) Tap the iPhone “Home” button once (Home button = the main circular button on the front of the phone) CoPilot Live will disappear from the screen

2) Tap the Home button twice to bring-up the multitasking panel

3) Press and hold the CoPilot icon. After a few seconds the icon will begin to wobble

4) Press the ‘-‘ ball on the CoPilot icon to close the app completely

Safety Camera Error Message. A number of customers have reported seeing an error message when running the latest updated CoPilot Live app for the first time. To avoid seeing this again, exit CoPilot and re-start the app. The problem should not reoccur.

As ever, we are reviewing all our customer feedback on a continuous basis. We can’t respond to everyone individually, but please rest assured we are paying attention.

We’ll have another update soon which improves performance further.

This entry was posted in CoPilot for iPhone & iPad and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. David
    Posted June 28, 2010 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Thanks! I am thrilled that copilot is working again on my iPhone, and had already discovered the task manager function of the multitasking bar. I too wanted to be able to turn off copilot when not in use, although I appreciate the multitasking that was added in iOS4. It would be great if you could integrate an “off” switch w/i the program.

• ramzez
      Posted June 28, 2010 at 11:20 am | Permalink

If you want to quit application just press and hold on the icon of the application in task manager, you will see a little red delete button on top and then you can quit the running application. Just like you uninstall apps form iphone, you can quit them in task manager.

2. Posted June 28, 2010 at 10:45 am | Permalink

I can’t link my new iPhone 4 to my live account. It tells me it is already linked to my old 3G (which is correct) it also tells me to go to live.alk.com to sort it out. I go there and log in with the same credentials as I log in with the app and it tells me no devices are associated with the account.

So, how then, do I link the new phone to use my existing live account and deactivate my old device?

MaFt

• ramzez
      Posted June 28, 2010 at 11:21 am | Permalink

just go to live.alk.com and in account setting select change device.

• Tim Sergent // Marketing & Communications Manager
      Posted June 29, 2010 at 1:16 am | Permalink

Hi Maft

Our support team should be able to help you with this issue. They can be contacted on http://www.copilotlive.com/support

3. DaddyHo83
    Posted June 28, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

there’s a few bug that i have found when running the app on the Iphone. it Freezes on demo’s right at the end. you have to exit the app and go back in. it also freezes when you go in to the music player and click on the list button and the app freezes. the app doesn’t close properly. some times it slow at telling where to turn.. but over all its quite a good app world be nice if you could fix these bugs…. i could go on and on

4. Yves Dubois
    Posted June 28, 2010 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

So disapointed by Copilot update System is a big messy shit.
    I have the Copilot live Europe installed on my iPhone 4.
    As I try to install this one, I had the problem with 2 screen.
    I send message to the ALK support who told me that the update for my machine where in the store.
    When I try to update, it was no update for Copilot Europe for iPhone 4.
    But it was for France and Italia, the two country that I need.
    So I have been charge 20 euros each and today, the update for Europe was in the store.
    I would really like to be refund

5. Sean Cairns
    Posted June 28, 2010 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

Well this mornings update was disapointing. I wasn’t getting the Safety Camera warning before and now after the “fix” I am !!!!

• Posted June 29, 2010 at 10:37 am | Permalink

I’m getting the same issue with no safety cameras and it say that the file is corrupt!

If I delete the file, will it download it again when I do a manual update?

• Sean Cairns
        Posted June 29, 2010 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Tim

I sorted it in the end. When you get the option to delete the corrupt file, delete it. Then tap menu,scroll to updates and check for updates. Load up the updates. This may take several attempts, it did for me and reading elsewhere others have had to make several attempts. It will freeze and take for ever. You will also need to go in to settings and POI and make sure the POI’s you want are selected, especially the Safety Alerts. Safety Alerts in the POI for me at one stage had dissappeared.

This is only my experience and how I managed to solve it. It was very frustrating and took several attempts and a whole load of patience. I can’t guarantee it will work for you to. A couple of times it did fail to sync and add the POI’s, so i just kept trying. A real pain !!!!

I hope this helps.

6. m.i.c
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 1:19 am | Permalink

Hi,

I want to purchase Copilot Live Europe and I can see that an update for iPhone 4 is on AppStore (finally) – I will be traveling from UK to Poland across Europe and SatNav would be really helpful. But I have read in a few reviews that Copilot requires roaming to be on for GPS location therefore incuring some massive charges from your cell provider. Is that true? ‘Cause if it is I’d rather go for more expensive SatNav app, as it probably be cheaper overall as I won’t have to pay roaming charges. Any help in this matter will be much appreciated.

• Tim Sergent // Marketing & Communications Manager
      Posted June 29, 2010 at 1:53 am | Permalink

Hi there

CoPilot Live uses GPS for navigation incurring no data charges. You can use the mobile internet to access addtional live services if you require.

Regards

Tim Sergent

• m.i.c
        Posted June 29, 2010 at 2:04 am | Permalink

Tim,
        thanks for your reply (that was quick!).
        If that’s a case, then I’m buying CoPilot Europe today :)

7. Webreaper
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 1:34 am | Permalink

Glad to see you responded to the iPhone problem so swiftly.

So, now that Android 2.2 is being pushed out by Google (http://tinyurl.com/2bshoo2), there’s going to be a whole load of people for whom CoPilot is going to break (like it has for the rest of us who’ve already updated). This is only going to get worse when Droid, Evo and other major Android phones get their Froyo update later this month.

When will we get an update on the software itself, or at least some indication of when we can expect it to be fixed? So far, it’s been over a month since I was last able to use CoPilot (the most expensive Android software I’ve bought), despite every other app on the platform working just fine.

I emailed support and asked for a refund, but got the terse reply saying that refunds are only available in the first 24h after purchase – and completely ignoring the fact that my copy of CoPilot is now unusable.

Can we have some sort of update on progress please?

8. Posted June 29, 2010 at 1:42 am | Permalink

After the 2nd major update, just done the latest this morning (iphone 3g, ios4, co-pilot 8) there are still problems in the updating process.

Safety cameras and POI give errors, but after 3 attempts (re-starting and reloading camera and POIs), the app has settled down and appears to be running ok. I will test it on the road latter today ?

9. Jeroen Ritmeijer
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 2:00 am | Permalink

Does this update address the annoying ‘battery low’ message? iOS already displays this (and I have to click it away while driving 70Mph) and then copilot thinks it is a good idea to pop up it’s own message that has to be clicked away as well.

10. Toby
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 3:20 am | Permalink

Well personally I’m really annoyed that there has been no communication that the update will break the TTS that I paid for due to a ‘lack of memory’ on the 3G. Let me explain. Working fine before the iOS4 update, and after, then after the Co-Pilot iOS4 compatibility update TTS brings up an error that due to a lack of memory it can’t be used. It’s licensed fine and NO other background apps are running, I made sure of that, I even tried just Co-Pilot running, nothing else, straight after a restart. Shame as I have been singing Co-Pilot’s praises since the first week it came out but this is more than disappointing to have a feature I have paid for removed due to a program that now uses more memory which I don’t apparently have but was working fine before!

• james
      Posted June 30, 2010 at 12:01 am | Permalink

It maybe a problem with tts engine alk is using don’t you think? obviously they using not their own. stay tuned.

11. christos
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 5:04 am | Permalink

Do i have to be bad again???Where is GREECE???How many times will you forget to put Greek map???You see i live in Greece and i have paid for Europe package including Greece.I don’t want to pay for a seperate map!!!

12. Yves Dubois
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 6:29 am | Permalink

Never again with Copilot. We pay for a buggy product.

13. christos
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 7:41 am | Permalink

I have just deleted it from my iPhone!As i read in itunes,Greece is not anymore in Europe package.
    Also in Android phones you have different and better map of Greece(Teleatlas).Why?

14. RoyB
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 9:59 am | Permalink

After dowloading O4 and the latest version of CoPilot I am so dissapointed that although all the menus can be set the program will not find the current position nor will it attempt to route.
    I will be eternally grateful for any information that will help to solve the problem.

• Neil
      Posted July 1, 2010 at 7:38 am | Permalink

I have the same problem. Bought it late last night for use tomorrow and can;t get the thing to locate it’s position. Any ideas on what to do?

• David Quin // Marketing Director
        Posted July 2, 2010 at 7:11 am | Permalink

Hi – can you check that you have ‘Location Services’ set to ‘ON’ on your iPhone.
        You can check that on the iPhone as follows:
        Tap: Settings > General > Location Services
        If it’s not switched-on then CoPilot Live will not get a GPS fix

15. RoyB
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Forgot to mention iPhone 3G 16gb

16. GrantC
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Still not functional- as of 8.0.0.820.
    I have reinstalled a number of ways, restarted my iPhone4, and it still has yet new major flaws over the 819 release.
    For example, this time round, during 1st time setup, when i select a voice and hit ‘test’ i get nothing.
    I then hit ‘test’ repeatedly out of frustration, and instead of the chirp i get the voice saying ..ilot.. (from “welcome to copILOT”)
    I think ‘ahh bugger it- maybe it’s just the voice test button thats broken’ and continue with setup.
    Now every keypress i make- letters on the keyboard, ok buttons- EVERYTHING- gives me the ..ilot..
    No voice prompts during navigation, basically the software no longer functions as a sat nav.

Seriously- can you guys make anything that works?
    This has to be the most buggy bit of software i have ever used- and AND! the most expensive app i have ever bought on the app store!

not to mention the uncontrollable capitalisation in favourite place names, dodgy volume levels that mess with your music regardless of the setting you choose, very weird routing defaults (30mph on dual carriageways, 15mph on secondary roads, 10mph on local streets???? where do you live?), needless pop up prompts, and hoops to jump through to do simple tasks.

i dont think i could recommend this software to anyone- even at half the price of the competition. looks like i’m gonna have to pony up even more cash to your competitor to get a functional sat nav- CHEERS GUYS!

17. Methosmen
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Sorry to see you are unable to be as expeditious when it comes to Android Froyo.

18. Posted June 29, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Hi

I have just bought an iphone 4. It is displaying 2 screens squashed at the top of the iphone. Love the product and want to use it, can you fix this or is it me?

Adrian

19. Davide Capponi
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

I bought Copilot Europe for my Iphone3Gs and was very happy with the app.
    When I upgraded to OS 4.0 the app did not work, it cannot locate the position, and even after the last upgrade it will not find the positions and therefore is useless.
    In 2 weeks I am leaving for my summer holidays: the reason for buying this app, and it does not work: how can I have my money back for an app that does not work anymore and does not fulfill the reason why I paid it ?

regards

Davide Capponi

20. Brett
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

My version of CoPilot Live (Australia) is now absolutely useless after this upgrade (8.0.0.819, iPhone 3G, updated to iOS 4). It tells me “the data in use is not properly licensed” and asks me for my activation key. I enter it, it tells me “Activation Successful”, but then hangs. If I quit and start again, it goes through the whole thing again.

If you are going to have irritating activation in your software, you should at least make damn sure that it works properly. Now this software which I paid for is absolutely useless and my iPhone no longer does navigation. Thanks, guys.

21. Pete
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Nice job closing the comments on the Froyo support thread. When you screw up, silence dissent and move on. That’ll show your customers who’s the boss.

So, yes, this is off-topic. You’ve made impossible to comment where it wouldn’t be!

In case your shills in that thread are dumb enough to trot out the same garbage again:

Froyo is official and being sent to phones OTA as of right now.

Is that unambiguous enough?!

• navi
      Posted June 30, 2010 at 3:51 am | Permalink

exactly the same issues here (iphone 3g iOS4), after jumping though hoops with ridiculous licence requests. I gave up and deleted CP live AU NZ. re installed it along with TTS. low and behold no TTS, not enough memory error messages

emailed CP live support- no response

22. Brett
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

So, in addition to the activation hassles after the last update (eventually fixed by deleting from my iPhone, re-installing, and then enduring several crashes on startup) TTS NO LONGER WORKS!! I’ve reactivated my licence key, and now it tells me that my iPhone 3G doesn’t have enough memory for TTS. Well, it did before this latest poorly tested update.

How about some effort testing your product and fixing real issues instead of wasting time on dumb features like Facebook updates or gossip about the World Cup???

23. Denny
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

Loving the update! However, I’d really like to see an explicit “Quit” command. I’m always going to want to shut down CoPilot Live when I’m not in the car, and the current quit process is quite a few steps.

24. Eric
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Love CoPilot, but the latest 2 fix releases haven’t worked well…loaded the latest today 30th June and use IOS4 and iPhone4. The audio turn by turn directions do not work at all on Bluetooth (being a motorcyclist a bit of a hinderance). If I change voice and use test can hear them, but never on on navigation. The turn symbols and green line are OK.

The speed warning and safety camera warning bleeps also work while riding, so it is not a connectivity problem.

I one 30 mile trip the app has “stopped” several times, it is not frozen but stops updating location on the map. Wierdly the speed warnings still work.

Really like to get it all working, been waiting for multitasking for ages so I can use it on the bike.

Eric

25. Kris Green
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Hi Guys,

I’ve been having a few problems since the latest update. I’ve tweeted you about it and await a reply but thought I’d detail them on here, too.

I went out for the first time with CoPilot this evening and the programme froze twice – the map wasn’t updating, the voices weren’t speaking to me. Essentially nothing.

So I returned home and deleted the App from my iPhone and then restored it to the phone from iTunes. Since then, the programme’s been pretty smooth but I can’t get TTS to work again. It’s telling me that I don’t have any products to restore, even thought I’m using the exact same iTunes account and CoPilot ID…

Very strange. Any help would be appreciated, though, to try and get TTS back.

Also, it sounds like another patch update is needed…

KJG

• Navi
      Posted July 2, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

which iphone are you using, 3g ios4 latest CP live TTS does not work any more
      for me -error message : memory error not enough memory.

in my case I’ve discovered if I leave my 3g with TTS enabled I receive no voice direction at all. I have to set it back to one of the standard voices

you can’t reinstall TTS from itunes you have to use CP live store which is inside the CP live app
      since you’ve all ready purchased it you will not be charged again

26. Posted July 2, 2010 at 1:08 am | Permalink

I was all set to buy Co-Pilot but looking at the recent reviews on the iTunes Store and the comments above I believe I will hold fire until I read something more positive.

Can someone tell me which of the responses above are official replies from Co-Pilot personnel? There’s nothing obvious to show their identity and to me it looks as though they aren’t responding at all. That would deter me even more.

Shame really, as the app looks great and I am keen to ditch TomTom.

27. Posted July 2, 2010 at 1:24 am | Permalink

Can confirm as a user (paid for) Co-Pilot is now working ok on my 3g ios4 (upgraded), this after two major updates and several install hassles with POI and Safety Cameras.

The app works very nicely, quite fast, good GPS fix and a nice user interface.

• Navi
      Posted July 2, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

are you using TTS on your iphone 3g ios4. it does not work with CP live AU NZ the latest update, not enough memory error

28. Posted July 3, 2010 at 1:07 am | Permalink

No I am not using TTS, never thought about it but can see its rather useul. I think its about time ALK sorted co-pilot out. In general its a good product, but the updates were (it appears) brought out in a rush (ios4), buggy release.

Bad programming, no excuse really as they would have had the developer version ios4 available to them quite a time beore release.

29. Joe Bobbobbybob
    Posted July 7, 2010 at 6:22 am | Permalink

This is an outrage… releasing the iOS4 version immediately (now with and update!!?) while leaving android users hanging for a month.

I was considering purchasing your app, but it seems like you guys don’t care, so if it’s not fixed in the next few days (when I need it) I will be purchasing Navigon.

One Trackback