iOS 4, Multitasking and CoPilot Live

Some great news this week for iPhone owners: Apple has now released iOS 4—the new version of Apple’s mobile operating system— as a free update through iTunes.   The new operating system brings a number of important improvements and enhancements.

For us here at CoPilot Live, we are particularly excited about the new multitasking functionality for switching between applications and Background Location that will allow Copilot Live to provide continuous guidance while you’re on a phone call or using other apps.

What does this mean for your CoPilot Live app?

If you upgrade your phone to iOS 4, your CoPilot Live app will run as normal with the new operating system, although please note it does not currently support multitasking. We will however be releasing a new update soon which will take full advantage of the new features.

Here’s a preview of what’s coming with the update:

Continuous turn-by-turn navigation during phone calls

• CoPilot Live will continue to run during a phone call and provide turn instructions as Push Notification messages
  • You will have the option to switch back to the full map display with one touch
  • Voice directions will be muted during the call to avoid confusion or distraction

Background Voice Navigation while using other apps

• CoPilot Live will continue to provide full voice guidance while you are using other apps
  • You will have the option to switch back to the full map display by double-tapping the Home button

Want a preview of CoPilot Live’s iOS 4 features? Check out our Flickr gallery here:

Stay tuned as the new update will be available through the app store soon.   It will also bring support for the iPhone 4 Retina Display

In the meantime you can continue to enjoy navigating with you CoPilot Live as usual, although please note that the current version does not support multitasking.

This entry was posted in CoPilot for iPhone & iPad and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Ed
    Posted June 23, 2010 at 9:10 am | Permalink

Allowing phonecalls whilst driving? Although not illegal your attention is being divided between driving safely and the person calling you. Also, allowing the user to use other apps on their phone at the same time as being navigated? really?

2. PC
    Posted June 23, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Shut up Ed. This is so that the app comes back to the same place and keeps navigating for you in the event you get a phone call. People do have bluetooth headsets and bluetooth handsfree in most cars now, so at least people can ignore a call and still come back to CoPilot and keep on going to their destination without having to re-input their info. That is more safe that someone trying to input the destination again, WHILE DRIVING! Shut up and go get a flip phone if you don’t want navigation on your SMARTphone.

THANKS ALK for updating the app for multitasking. Hope I see the update soon.

3. Andy
    Posted June 23, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Ed I think your missing the point of the multi-tasking features, for example I will use it so that I can run the pandroa, spotify, last.fm etc apps and still get the voice navigation instructions whilst listening to music in these other apps.

4. sdf
    Posted June 23, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

PC, who would be dumb enough to try and re-enter the destination whilst driving? Oh wait, that would be you, clearly.
    Andy, surely you should be giving the road your fully attention, not flipping between apps whilst driving

5. Tony
    Posted June 24, 2010 at 2:47 am | Permalink

I’ve installed CoPilot (the UK version) but on opening up it only fills a portion of the screen at the top – and with 2 copies of the app’s screen.

Screen presses seem to register in the right place to confuse things a bit more, but I can’t get further than the copilot id login.

• Brian
      Posted June 24, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

I have the same problem. Two tiny copies of the “New to Co-pilot screen.
      Help please.
      Brian in sunny Macclesfield

• tom
        Posted June 25, 2010 at 11:46 am | Permalink

me too, slightly worrying!

6. anthony
    Posted June 24, 2010 at 5:18 am | Permalink

he tony, i have the same thing on my new iphone 4 – are you using IOS4 on a 3G/3Gs or on a iphoen4 as well?

7. Sophia
    Posted June 24, 2010 at 6:35 am | Permalink

THANKS ALK for updating the app for multitasking. Hope I see the update soon.

8. Tony
    Posted June 24, 2010 at 7:21 am | Permalink

Oh, iPhone 4 as well, yes.

9. Brian
    Posted June 24, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Forgot to mention. 32gig iPhone 4.

10. Ben
    Posted June 25, 2010 at 1:39 am | Permalink

I have the same issue as the last few posters but it only happens on the iPhone4. I upgraded my iPhone3Gs to iOS4 the other day and the app worked fine then.

I suspect it is something to do with the higher resolution screen.

11. Cole
    Posted June 25, 2010 at 4:31 am | Permalink

Same issue with the screen here, as well.

• David Quin // Marketing Director
      Posted June 25, 2010 at 4:40 am | Permalink

Hi – quick update on the situation. We have submitted an update to Apple that fixes the iPhone 4 problem. (also adds full support for iOS4 multitasking).

Apple’s approval process for updates usually takes about a week, although we are obviously hoping that it will be sooner.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

12. Scott
    Posted June 25, 2010 at 6:11 am | Permalink

Thanks David. Glad to see you guys checking the posts. Was confused when I tried to punch directions into the app this morning. Anxiously awaiting the update.

13. Andy
    Posted June 25, 2010 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Hi Was just coming to to post a problem about the screen problems on the iphone 4. Delighted to see that there it was already responded to. Another tick in the I was definitely right to buy this app column :-)

14. Jirka
    Posted June 25, 2010 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Sigh… Isnt it possible to keep the map visible during the call? Honestly driving, calling and reading push notifications is definitely not easy. If you’d keep the map in front and call in background, it would imho be the best option.

15. Jim
    Posted June 26, 2010 at 11:15 am | Permalink

I am concerned that CoPilot for IOS4 will drain the battery faster, as it continues to run when I close it. I can tell as the icon for the GPS is still showing.
    Also, Will you support other audio applications like Pandora from within CoPilot?

16. Sarah
    Posted June 26, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

This is an unrelated post but i need to email support for deactivation of my CP7. I have used the web “ask a question” I have emailed eusupport@alk.com, support@alk.com and activate@alk.com

ALL GET RETURNED TO ME SAYING THEY DO NOT EXIST

Please Help!

17. Andy
    Posted June 27, 2010 at 7:43 am | Permalink

Recently updated as follows…

iPhone 3GS running iOS4

Copilot Live updated to 8.0.0.819

Since updating I’ve had a plethora of problems..

- CPL opens up, map appears, screen changes on its own, screen froze saying Music Player at the top, grey box saying “AC/DC if you want blood, you’ve got it..” WTF?? I have no AC/DC on my iPhone….!!!!! Where on earth has that come from?

- CPL crashes after opening, returning to homepage. 4 out of every 10 times I open it.

- When navigating, playing a playlist thru CPL own player, I only get directions if the screen is on. As soon as I turn off the screen, I get jumpy music and no voice directions (clearly CPL is trying to speak, just cant get the words out…)

- Same as above except get rap style voice directions with stuttering start to directions instead.

All in all, a terrible update. I’ve gone from a usable and sound product to an utter shambles.

I would expect a decent response from ALK with regards this bug ridden update before they lose any goodwill.

• Nick
      Posted June 27, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Hi Andy I had similar problems and also had to completely re-setup my phone. Have you tried a reboot to fix your probelms yet?

18. Nick
    Posted June 27, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

The update on my iPhone 3GS 16GB did not go at all smoothly. I had to completely re-setup the entire program including licensing, downloading the text to speech again and all the custom settings and all the home, work and favourites – the update was done directly on the iPhone. Guys – do better next time.

19. Andrew
    Posted June 27, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

I updated my 3GS to iOS4 and then the CoPilot update via iPhone. All I got was a “data mismatch” error which required downloading the programme again. I chose to delete the update and restore the previous version via iTunes, but this of course removed all local setting changes. Grr – will wait for the CoPilot update to be less buggy, but am looking forward to the multitasking capability.

20. Rich
    Posted June 28, 2010 at 6:27 am | Permalink

I’ve got the new CoPilot version running on iOS4 on my iPhone 3GS and the multi-tasking works great – thanks. One question though – how do I easily exit CoPilot when I’m done so that it doesn’t keep trying to guide me back to my destination? I’m currently double-clicking the home button, pressing and holding CoPilot and then clicking the minus button that appears but surely there’s a better way?

21. Bruce
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

ALK now that you have appeared to have solved the conflicts with IOS4 perhaps you can address the more generic problem of dealing with the annoying lag inherent in Co-Pilot Live that has lead me to resort to a good old fashioned map on more than one occassion – I would not mind so much but this was in the outskirts of London not the outer Hebrides.

Please address this otherwise its over to Tom-Tom.

22. Nick
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 5:30 am | Permalink

I’m with Rich on the issue of shutting down Copilot now that it uses multitasking. There has to be a better, quicker way of shutting it down when it’s no longer needed (e.g. once you know where you are). The current system shouldn’t be attempted whilst driving.

23. Andrew
    Posted July 7, 2010 at 6:26 am | Permalink

An update to my previous post regarding issues with no voice when the screen is off on a 3GS iPhone.. (see it above with random ACDC song title and frozen screen…)

Well I paid for the EU version as I uninstalled the disatrous UK version and guess what?

Yep you guessed it.

Absolutely no change whatsoever. Still voice problems unless the screen is continuously on, the voice even stutters like mad and is late with its directions.

Are we likely to see an update which actually fixes this disastrously awful update?