CoPilot Live iPhone Free Update and new regions now available

We are delighted that CoPilot has stayed at #1 for turn by turn navigation on the UK App Store and we have received some great user feedback since our launch last month.

Now we have posted our first free update for our UK iPhone app, which brings safety camera alerts, dial a POI, recover after a phone call and also some GPS enhancements.

We are continually working to improve the app and introduce new features in response to the feedback that is pouring-in.

Meanwhile, there’s excellent news for iPhone owners in France, Germany, Austria and Switzerland: our CoPilot Live single region apps for France and D-A-CH have now been approved by Apple and are immediately available to download from iTunes.

They provide full-featured navigation at a realistic price of €33.99 iTunes Link

So, if you’ve been waiting for CoPilot Live what you waiting for now? Go to iTunes and download the best in voice guided, turn by turn navigation for iPhone!

[ratings]

This entry was posted in Uncategorised and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Sanket
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 3:50 am | Permalink

When is the update available from iTunes? Does it start now or maybe by end of the day?

• FleetfootMike
      Posted September 8, 2009 at 3:57 am | Permalink

Well, I got mine last night…

• Sanket
        Posted September 8, 2009 at 4:38 am | Permalink

Thanx FleetfootMike!!

I’ll have to wait till I get home from work… as the update is not available without WiFi… :(

2. Adam
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 3:54 am | Permalink

Does this update include a qwerty keyboard?

• FleetfootMike
      Posted September 8, 2009 at 3:58 am | Permalink

It doesn’t appear to.

• Tim Sergent // Marketing & Communications Manager
      Posted September 8, 2009 at 4:09 am | Permalink

Sorry – qwerty keyboard not included in this update but it will be available shortly.

Regards

Tim

• Sanket
        Posted September 8, 2009 at 4:39 am | Permalink

Just waiting for the QWERTY keyboard… Got used to it and now it’s difficult to type without it.. :(

3. gyre
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 4:25 am | Permalink

What gps enhancements did you add? More details pls :)

Also, if I run the ipod app at the same time as copilot, the screen dims after every track on the ipod.

4. Sanket
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 4:46 am | Permalink

Has anybody posted the demo of the camera alerts on youtube or any other site?? Or do anyone know a site where it’s posted??

5. Bruce
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 4:54 am | Permalink

Hi Tim,

RE Update –

Can no longer change the position of every ‘plan and edit’ stop point (the first can’t change position).

Corrupt keyboard entry in name user profile.

How do warnings work? There appears to be an alert for Safety Camera in POI alerts, and then a safety alert setting also!

• Tim Sergent // Marketing & Communications Manager
      Posted September 9, 2009 at 2:07 am | Permalink

Hi Bruce

Sorry to hear about the problems you’re encountering – I’ll flag internally but it may well be worth dropping our technical support a line on: ukcustservice@alk.eu.com

Regards

Tim

• Bruce
        Posted September 9, 2009 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your response. I’ll trust your internal reporting rather than trouble customer service – they’ve had an open ticket with me for 3 weeks now and despite 3 responses, have failed to address a single question from my initial contact – starting to feel like dealing with TomTom, which I hope isn’t the case!

Hopefully your development and support teams monitor external sources of feedback, in which case they’ll already be aware of http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=494131#494131 which is being updated with new issues on an almost hourly basis.

6. Bruce
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 4:55 am | Permalink

Also, What has happened to ‘live search’?

Why aren’t you telling people about live Fuel prices?

• Christian Oliff // European Webmaster
      Posted September 18, 2009 at 3:12 am | Permalink

We’ll have news to share about live services very soon.

7. Posted September 8, 2009 at 8:26 am | Permalink

Hi,

Thanks for the update. There are some issues that have been picked up in teh PocketGPSWorld.com forums – link: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=494131#494131

Hope that helps for some feedback?

MaFt

8. Goldenrod
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Will there be an update for the western Europe app? Also, I’m wondering if it will eventually be possible to search Irish townlands. It is frustrating at the moment because even though the townland names are on the map I can’t search for them. This means I have to navigate by picking the point on the map.

• Tim Sergent // Marketing & Communications Manager
      Posted September 9, 2009 at 1:56 am | Permalink

Hi Golden Rod

Thanks for the query about Townlands. As far as I’m aware there is no immediate plan to include this in a release but I’ll certainly feedback the issue you’ve raised to our Developer Team.

Regards

Tim

9. Freak
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

Is there a planned release for CoPilot – Australia?

• Tim Sergent // Marketing & Communications Manager
      Posted September 9, 2009 at 1:43 am | Permalink

Hi Freak

There will be mapping for Australia soon. We’ll blog when details are available.

Regards

Tim

10. Timbo
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

Any news on updates for Android?

• Tim Sergent // Marketing & Communications Manager
      Posted September 9, 2009 at 1:41 am | Permalink

Hi Timbo

Thanks for the post. We’re continously developing the product and we’ll blog when Android updates when they are available – you can also follow us on Twitter.

Regards

Tim

11. Dale
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

When will the live traffic be available in the UK?

12. Neil
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

The backlight dims when music is playing, you have to keep tapping the screen. It didn’t used to do this in the previous version.

I would also like it if you could dip the music volume when announcing instructions (most of my and I guess others’ music is at different volumes so sometimes I’m shouted with instructions at and other times I can barely hear them) that’d be really good.

It still crashes frequently and instructions are still far too late.

Getting there though!

Neil.

13. Leo
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

When will an update for the US (North America) version be out?? I’m about to ask for a refund if I don’t see one soon. The Maps are way outdated and the lack of qwerty keyboard is ridiculous.

14. Alex
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

Why has live search been removed without any warning in the update text and now appears listed as a premium service.
    This is appalling behaviour to covertly remove a feature in an update so that you can charge for it in the future!

This is currently well priced but buggy navigation software and to maintain sales it would seem imperative that you maintain your customers trust so that they buy in now on the basis that it will be improved in future updates. Removing features secretly does not fill me with confidence that you have your customers best interests at heart. I wonder what features you will remove in the next update?

• JDurrans
      Posted October 29, 2009 at 4:53 am | Permalink

I noticed this as it was a key feature i needed. after multiple conversations of level 1 support saying it should be there and it may eb a bug so they would contact the dev team i got fed up of no resolution. a few more calls and then they told me customer services stated it was a demo/trial. i am now trying to get the point accross to them that i never saw the fact this was a trial/demo on their software/site or the app store. I was told if i want a refund to contact apple. apple were surprisingly quick at replying but said because i have had the product for a couple of months i cant have a refund so i need to contact copilot.. result = purchase tomtom

15. Lars
    Posted September 10, 2009 at 12:58 am | Permalink

Any news on whe CoPilot live (Android) will be available for download on Android Market in Sweden/Scandinavia?

• Christian Oliff // European Webmaster
      Posted September 18, 2009 at 3:13 am | Permalink

We will make CoPilot Live available in those regions as soon as Google Android Market will allow developers to offer applications for sale in those regions. At the moment, we can not. We will have physical products (DVD installers) for sale through our distribution channel very soon though.

16. OLiver
    Posted September 11, 2009 at 6:31 am | Permalink

Hi

Maybe is silly question, but I downloaded through iTunes CoPilot Live 8, but when I started it required my email and password to create ID. I don’t have internet at the moment in my iphone, because I’m with Orange.

HOW TO REGISTER AND WHAT TO DO, PLEASE ANYONE HELP ME…

THANKS

• Christian Oliff // European Webmaster
      Posted September 15, 2009 at 3:10 am | Permalink

Hi Oliver – You could use your Hotmail email address to register

17. Neil
    Posted September 11, 2009 at 9:35 am | Permalink

Some other bugs

1 – The backlight dims after about a minute, this is a bug which has been introduced since the last version
    2 – It crashes frequently, I’ve had it crash a couple of times in succession.
    3 – A series of successive turns aren’t put together beforehand. If you’re doing a dogleg then it’ll just say the first one and say the next on when you’re at the turn. This is dangerously late and you’ll probably miss your turn.
    4 – If you have a custom label for an address in your contact list (defined in contacts) then that address won’t appear in the contacts list in copilot (some non-dynamic programming going on here!)
    5 – Contacts addresses don’t always get parsed correctly. Some work others don’t. Clicking on them in the contacts menu will correctly open google maps but not always in copilot.
    6 – Rotating to landscape takes quite a while
    7 – Music volume does not dip when announcing instructions.
    8 – Current route isn’t always saved when returning to the application. Sometimes it is sometimes it isn’t
    9 – There are some inconsistencies between screens, sometimes ‘X’ or close is at the top, sometimes at the bottom.

We all want this to be a good product but it just doesn’t feel like it at the moment.

18. Wiz
    Posted September 12, 2009 at 6:24 am | Permalink

Is there any way to change the volume of co-pilot relative to the music volume? My music seems much quieter than the announcements, so much so that if I listen to the music at a dececnt volume, the co-pilot instructions blow my ears out! I put my iPhone in a car charging cradle which disables the physical volume button on the iPhone, so I’m looking for some kind of co-pilot volume control in software?

Also, the backlight does keep going off which is a pain.

• Tim Sergent // Marketing & Communications Manager
      Posted September 15, 2009 at 4:23 am | Permalink

Hi Wiz

Thanks for your comments. We’re looking at ways in which we can improve the volume management between music and the application control.

Regards

Tim

• Anil K
        Posted November 22, 2009 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Ihave the same problem with volume sound as do many other users, so much so in fact that I have it on mute so it doesn’t shock me when the instructions are spoken. Any update on the volume management yet ? Anil.

19. Wiz
    Posted September 12, 2009 at 6:27 am | Permalink

Personally, I’d like the music to pause when directions are spoken, like the Garmin Navs do, ‘cos I often listen to audio boooks in the car and it’s better if you dont’ have two people speaking at once.

• Christian Oliff // European Webmaster
      Posted September 18, 2009 at 3:14 am | Permalink

Thanks for the product suggestion. I’ve passed it on to the product management team.

20. Mark Hayler
    Posted September 13, 2009 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Hi copilot I’ve got this on the iPhone 3GS.
    Can you tell me if there is going to be a fix for the
    call handleing.
    As at the moment when you receive a call, when you finish
    it the planned route continues from where it was before the call came in.
    Although the destination screen comes up
    and has to be cancelled.
    But when you make a outgoing call with my Bluetooth headset.
    I finish the call and copilot starts up again but doesn’t keep
    the route isn’t stored and you have to input the route again

21. Teemu
    Posted September 14, 2009 at 2:09 am | Permalink

Is there going to be a release with scandinavia maps for iPhone?? I didn’t find info about the Europe maps version, does that have scandinavia maps?? Please reply to my e-Mail..?

• Tim Sergent // Marketing & Communications Manager
      Posted September 14, 2009 at 3:08 am | Permalink

Hi Teemu

There will be Scandinavian maps available for iPhone. The app is currently waiting for approval. I will post when its available.

Regards

Tim

22. Marnus Zwarts
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 1:27 am | Permalink

Hi, can anyone please confirm if and when Copilot Live 8 for Android will be releasing South African maps?

23. david
    Posted September 17, 2009 at 2:17 am | Permalink

This is a good design for a sat nav app, I am really disappointed to have paid for something which is still at the design stage.

You should really ensure that anything to do with vehicle navigation works perfectly or more importantly SAFELY! The quirks and unexpected behaviours listed above (dimming back light- requiring reactivation, loss of route after phone call – requiring re-input, late directions – requiring sudden changes of direction/lane) are very serious, possibly fatal flaws in a driving aid and should have been addressed before release.
    Passing these issues on to your development team suggests that you expect the driving public to road-test your software, this is extremely careless and I hope no one ends up crash testing it.
    This should have been developed/tested to the highest road safety standards before release and not a single user should have discovered and dealt with unexpected operational issues whilst driving.

24. henry
    Posted September 17, 2009 at 2:43 am | Permalink

I use the copilot BeNeLux version and it worked quiet well.
    Except for the dimming screen and the volume problems.

The dimming only does noet dim when you don’t change something in the music.
    As soon as the music number switched it will dim after a minute.

And the volume is a pain as well, maybe volume control in the display or menu in the next
    update?

25. JConly
    Posted September 17, 2009 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

Update hangs on my iphone. Hours and hours with no progress. I’ve powered off the phone and back up again with the same results. I’ve attempted to remove the application and re-sync it, however I cannot even remove the application. Can’t access the application as it on a constant “Loading” mode.

• Christian Oliff // European Webmaster
      Posted September 18, 2009 at 3:17 am | Permalink

You should be able to remove the app now and re-install it with iTunes 9. If you still have problems, you could try hard-resetting your device and restoring it.

26. Jamie Nash
    Posted September 19, 2009 at 11:19 am | Permalink

one nice feature would be for a track title to come up subtly on-screen maybe partly faded on the visible map when a new track is played on the iphone maybe a little like it is when the iphone is locked and you can see the tracks displayed there too

hoep this is useful

27. Christos Bassatis
    Posted September 19, 2009 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Hello,i can see in iTunes that Greece is part of Europe Map.Is a detailed coverage of my country?The maps are from navteq,teleatlas or another provider?Is there any plan for Greek Map for iPhone?Thank you,i’m waiting for your answers.

28. Christos Bassatis
    Posted September 21, 2009 at 2:23 am | Permalink

Thank you for your answer,but it was partly answered.I want to know before i buy,if it is a detailed map of Greece,which is the coverage and from which provider.This will be helpfull to understand the quality of the map.Thank you.

29. Mark
    Posted September 21, 2009 at 7:32 am | Permalink

How can I make the turn prompts give me more advance warning? When it says to me “just ahead, turn right” it actually means either “turn right NOW” or “see that junction you just crossed over? You should have turned right back there!”

30. pager Thierry
    Posted September 21, 2009 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Hello, I am French, but nobody gives me an answer on the platform Europe! it has been two weeks since I bought copilot and impossible to install on my iphone 3GS is the only application that does not synchronize. I have an error message that says: “the application is not installed because its resources have been changed. is what I have missed a step recording or other …? Does anyone has it had the same interests as me? I already try re-installing! thank you in advance for your answers …

31. Wiz
    Posted September 21, 2009 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

One other bug to report. When saving a route, all the keys on the keyboard disappear except for the letter “t” !! So the only name you can give your route is “t” or “tt” or “ttt” – well you get the picture :p

32. Timlotus
    Posted September 22, 2009 at 2:20 am | Permalink

Hi, I am really impressed with the app (UK & Ireland) but can I second Wiz’s request for an in-app volume control, as I have the same issue with loudly blaring instructions over ipod music at a reasonable volume. It would be great if a volume slider could appear when the screen is touched in a certain area, which would fade the Copilot volume relative to the ipod/global phone volume. Also if the volume setting could be remembered by the app, that would be great.

Can you tell us if this feature (in some form) will be available soon?
    Thanks

33. 139sroberts
    Posted October 1, 2009 at 5:34 am | Permalink

Yeah, an an in-app volume control is very important to me too.

34. Potto
    Posted October 2, 2009 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

An amazing app, I can’t quite believe how well it works on the iPhone and it completely removes my need to buy a standalone Sat Nav. Excellent price, too. One major issue though – the instructions are MUCH louder than music playing on my iPhone. The Co-Pilot software definitely needs its own independent volume control…….

35. Paul
    Posted October 3, 2009 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

I am impressed with copilot, and am hopeful that development will continue to keep it ahead of the competition, especially tomtom. The one thing I find a little irritating is the repetitive “just ahead” phrase. Please, please remove it, even my kids tease it when we are at a stage in the journey with successive turns. Maybe the thinking was to endure users were confident the instruction does not refer to a road just passed, but I think it’s unnecessary.

Thanks
    p

36. Piers
    Posted October 4, 2009 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Generally good but constant incorrect “turn right” commands on the motorway and at other random intervals means I can’t trust Copilot sufficiently. Volume control vital, also speed of recovery after momentary loss of gps signal needs improving. I’m sure these and other issues are known; just hope updates are not far away. Live traffic (free of charge surely!)soon please!

37. Trev
    Posted October 19, 2009 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Just to add my needs to the volume problem…
    I connect my iPhone from the bottom connector to the car radio via line in on the car radio and the radio merges in the voice directions with the music, but again, the directions can be really loud compared with the level of the music, really, really need a simple volume on the main screen (not buried in some menu)…need it soon before my speakers explode!!

Rest of the product works well!!

38. Anil K
    Posted October 28, 2009 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Quite agree about the volume control needed within the app. Stream music and calls via Bluetooth and becomes deafening when copilot voice comes on whilst listening to music

39. Neil
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 9:51 am | Permalink

Does using with the TomTom car kit improve the GPS performance?

40. Mark jenkyns
    Posted November 26, 2009 at 8:03 am | Permalink

My phone is iPhone 3GS 32 gig.
    I have the latest update as of the day of this posting.
    1-started to crash after one week of use.
    2-crashing when trying to choose 3D map
    3-crashing a lot in not 3g areas.
    4-if tx sent to you screen fades out
    To make it short, it not a scratch on any TomTom.
    It maybe cheaper but what’s the point if you can not trust it!
    Do you guys if do any type of testing on the new updates?

• Christian Oliff // European Webmaster
      Posted November 26, 2009 at 8:14 am | Permalink

If CoPilot is crashing alot then there maybe something wrong with your setup. Please try deleting it from iPhone and resyncing it back to your device. If problems persist, please try turning your phone off completely and then on again.

41. Mark jenkyns
    Posted November 26, 2009 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Thanks for the quick reply but, I already did this when it first started to crash as I thought the same thing! But still crashing! I have notice that when unable to select 3D mode 2D was still working so I was able at least to get home!
    For me it seems only that when in a none 3G area and having my iPhone selected for 3G it will crash a lot, but as soon as I am in a good 3G area works great. Next I will check to see if disabling 3G in iPhone settings makes a this app any better.

42. Mark jenkyns
    Posted November 26, 2009 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Work just finished, meetings long,just about to leave Hull in east Yorkshire and head back home to Oxford and guess What? Co pilot live V8 has now crash and will not even start!!!
    1-how do I get home with out a map, without many mistakes and lots of back traking.
    2-Christian Oliff must I have to travel with my laptop to repair or replace the screwed up copilot v8 app?
    3-I guess now I have a Long stressful drive home!!
    Why the hell did I give my tomtom 720 to my wife!!!
    Please do not buy this copilot live v8 yet!!!!!!!
    Or you will find yourself in a world of poo.
    Mark (electrician) for GES http://www.gessite.co.uk

• KEVIN
      Posted November 28, 2009 at 10:35 am | Permalink

i have just bought this copilot and it has not crashed yet 2 weeks it is really worth the money.

43. Mark jenkyns
    Posted November 26, 2009 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Look at the time and date of my last post:-
    -all most home to Oxford but with out my tomtom I am now screwed as my copilot live v8 has crashed again after the first week of no problems.
    -going to stop and by a map from the service station at the next stop.
    -when I get home……
    -I would love to put the TomTom team and the copilot team in one room together! I think I know who will win the IQ test.
    - off I go… Again!

• Tim Sergent // Marketing & Communications Manager
      Posted November 27, 2009 at 2:51 am | Permalink

Hi Mark

Sorry that you’ve been encountering some problems with CoPilot. I’ll pass your comments through to our technical team for a resolution.

Regards

Tim Sergent

44. Mark jenkyns
    Posted November 28, 2009 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Kevin, that great I wish I could say the same!

Tim, I have not heard from your team yet and would love to get this sorted soon as my iPhone is a great business tool. I did on the other hand contact your live support team myself and apart from the auto rely email, I am still waiting for a answer to my question!

I never normaly have so much to say about anything and will just smile and deal with it. But as a business owner myself I know how much customer support means to a business .