CoPilot Live for Android FAQ

Response to the launch of CoPilot Live for Android has been fantastic. We’ve had a lot of questions and queries from all over the globe and have compiled the top ten most frequently asked questions and posted the answers below. If your question isn’t answered below, leave a comment on this blog or drop us a tweet @copilotlive and we’ll respond.

Q: My ‘Licensing’ screen under the ‘Settings’ menu tells me I have a 10 Day Trial. Do I have to pay more for a full version?
A:
No. The price you paid to download the App from the Android Market is the full price which includes the program plus your selected map region. The license screen will display a “trial” status until we are able to verify your purchase with Google, at which point your license will automatically get updated to “full” status. This should normally take no longer than ten days.

Q: Why is CoPilot refusing to recognise the Product Key I was sent on purchasing the App?
A :
Have you purchased the upgrade via Central? Purchasing the app itself sends you a Google checkout Order ID, that you will need to enter when you start CoPilot for the first time, but it should not come with a product key.

Q: Does CoPilot support full UK 7-digit postcodes?
A:

Q: I have purchased CoPilot and downloaded CoPilot Central 2. Why am I unable to download any maps?
A:
Please follow these steps:

Getting the device Connected

-       Launch Central 2.0
-       Log in with your Single Sign On details
-       Plug your Android device in to your PC through a USB cable
-       On the device, drag the top bar down and tap on USB Connected
-       Select “Mount”
-       In Central, “Android Device” is identified and your CoPilot version

Downloading Maps

-       Select Download maps icon in the centre of the welcome screen or go to ‘CoPilot Store’ and select Maps.
-       Select the region to download. You can only download maps for the region chosen in the mobile application (downloadable regions highlighted in blue).
-       Once you click on Download, the data will be transferred to your PC, unpacked and sent to the storage card on the device. Please remember to keep the device connected at all times.

Q: I have a 2GB microSD card in my Android Device. Why am I getting a free space error when trying to download maps of Europe?
A:
Maps are downloaded as a compressed file, so this file requires sufficient space to extract. It’s advisable to have double the stated map size available to install without complications (e.g. for Europe, you are advised to use an SD card which is larger than 2GB, ideally 4GB or larger).

Q: Do I need an internet connection to use CoPilot Live on my Android device?
A:
No, an internet connection is not needed for standard satellite navigation as all maps are stored locally. Please note that you will need an internet connection when launching the application for the first few days in order to validate your Google Checkout ID. You also need an internet connection to activate the software with your CoPIlot Single Sign On ID on first launch. This data transmission is kept to a minimum.

Q: Can I download maps on the fly (e.g. if you don’t have the maps purchased for your current location)?
A:
You can download maps for your currently licensed region directly on your device. You must use the CoPilot Central desktop application to purchase further map licenses.

Q: How much are extra maps?
A:
Please refer to the CoPilot Store in the CoPilot Central 2 desktop application for all up-to-date prices.

Q: When will maps of Australia be available on CoPilot Live for Android?
A:
We are looking to provide these at the end of August.

Q: Is there a monthly or yearly fee?
A:
No. You pay once for the initial program and data download. You are then free to purchase further map upgrades and premium features as and when you require.

Q: Where can I see the CoPilot Live user guide?
A:
www.copilotlive.com/userguide

[ratings]

This entry was posted in Tips & Tricks and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Michael
    Posted August 21, 2009 at 5:08 am | Permalink

Hey

I’am using Copilot live on my HTC Hero. There is a few issues I like to point out:

Every time i close the program It crashes.
    There are also many freeze- and crash experience, in normal use.

It would be nice if you please could fix it.

Posted September 2, 2009 at 4:05 am | Permalink

Please update to the latest version from Android Market; it fixes an issue with the HTC Hero.

2. Tony
    Posted August 23, 2009 at 7:57 am | Permalink

Firstly, really like the phone software, does the job nicely.

The companion software Central 2.0 seems to be very buggy, it worryingly doesn’t show my purchase of the android software on the My Account form. and everytime I connect my device I get:

************** Exception Text **************
    System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
    at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
    at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
    at ALK.Business.VersionType..ctor(String version, Boolean compareRevision)
    at ALK.CoPilot.Central.Controls.UpdatesControl.Populate(StoreDownloadCollection plc)
    at ALK.CoPilot.Central.Controls.UpdatesControl.UpdateList(StoreDownloadCollection list)
    at ALK.CoPilot.Central.Controls.UpdatesControl.ConsumeUpdatesQueryEnded(Object sender, UpdateCollectionEventArgs e)
    at ALK.CoPilot.Central.Controls.UpdatesControl.c__DisplayClass14.b__13()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()

Also “No Products of that type on Record” in every section but maps, the comments here from July 20th would lead me to believe there should at least be somewhere to download the speed camera database?

3. Chris Foot
    Posted August 23, 2009 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

I have been having the same error with CoPilot Central 2.0 and have no products in all sections. It only seems to happen once you connect the device.

I opened a support ticket for the problem and it took 2 days for a response that just told me to reinstall, I had of course already tried that and also have seen the exact same problem on 2 computers, I replied to the ticket within 30 mins of the reply from co-pilot, 3 working days later I haven’t had an update… Pretty poor customer service really, guess they only care about getting new customers, not existing ones!

I reinstalled the software on my phone as that seems to be the only way to download the other voice without Central working!

4. Brian
    Posted August 27, 2009 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

I am VERY disappointed in this software. What is up with the “no products of that type on record” in EVERY section of CoPilot Central?

5. Fiona
    Posted September 2, 2009 at 3:57 am | Permalink

Hi, I have a UK Orange GPS enabled windows mobile and coPilot 7 installed. Does anyone know if I will be charged data for using coPilot in the US?(I called Orange to ask them and they replied “GPS doesn’t work in the USA” lol) I understand that it requires internet connection at first but can I just use my wireless to get the initial connection and route planned and then disable data and use CoPilkot whilst driving? My only real concern is that data costs £8 per MB using Orange in the US, so I don’t want to run up a huge bill.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated (since Orange know nothing lol)
    Thanks, Fiona

Posted September 2, 2009 at 4:01 am | Permalink

Hi Fiona. If you have CoPilot Live with US maps installed then there is no reason to use any data connection on your phone at all. CoPilot Live will work perfectly without a data connection.

• Fiona
        Posted September 2, 2009 at 4:07 am | Permalink

Thanks for the fast reply, I can relax now.

• Tim Sergent // Marketing & Communications Manager
        Posted September 3, 2009 at 1:38 am | Permalink

Hi Fiona

Just one additional comment. If you are travelling to the US you will need to have US mapping on board. If you’ve not got these, it may be worth upgrading to CoPilot Live v8.

Take a look at our web-site: http://www.alk.eu.com/buynow/copilot/

6. Unfitguy
    Posted September 4, 2009 at 9:27 am | Permalink

Can we have an eta on Live traffic for uk as I may need to purchase another device if not soon. Find name a bit misleading as the Live service is just weather which is very poor.

Overall very good but could be sooooo much better

7. Clive
    Posted September 14, 2009 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

I am having a couple of problems with Copilot Central 2.0. I am running Copilot Live for Android on my HTC Magic, on Vodafone network in the UK

On connecting my phone to my PC I am now offered the option to download alternative voices. When I try and do so Copilot Central crashes. Every time.

When I try and purchase North America maps and pay by Maestro card the system keeps asking me for a card start (i.e. valid from) date – Maestro cards do not have this, just an issue number, but I cannot proceed with the purchase without one!

I would be grateful if you could issue a fix for the latter problem quickly (using an alternative card is not currently an option) – I am flying to Boston next week and so need maps before then!

Many thanks

• Anton
      Posted September 28, 2009 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Hi Clive,

I am also getting the issue with the alternative voices you mentioned in point 1).

I mounted my Hero, ran CoPilot Central 2 (which is up to date!), then I clicked “Get updates” It brings up a long list of new voices so I selected an English (GB) one and clicked “Download and install”

It gets to 100% then states “ALK.CoPilot.Central has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience”

Anyone got any ideas???

8. Peter Fisher
    Posted September 15, 2009 at 9:42 am | Permalink

I’d like to but USA maps for copilot on my Vod magic phone. I have UK running well on it and an 8gb mini SD card.

I’ve looked on Google market, but can’t find USA maps. Can you tell me how I purchase the maps?

Peter

9. jahid
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 10:06 am | Permalink

my copilot wont recognise my checkout order number. i have typed in the 15 digit number but it says order number invalid please help.

10. Posted September 17, 2009 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Hi there
    ive jus been trying to find CoPilot on the Android marketpalce but it says it doesnt exist :s
    ive searched for Copilot, satnav, sat-nav, co-pilot, GPS the lot and not one resulting in me getting copilot on my G1. Can you help me?
    i really need a satnav software for when i travel to uni and i dnt wanna fork out for a seperate device when my lovely new G1 is capable of it

thanx

11. Andrew
    Posted September 19, 2009 at 8:47 am | Permalink

I was hoping the latest CoPilot Android update was going to enable safety camera (and other extra content via CoPilot Central), but I see I was hoping in vain.

Still nothing.

Don’t ALK realise that not being able to update the safety cameras is becoming a reason why all us CoPilot fans are not comfortable about recommending it any more?

Don’t know about other countries, but in the UK they’re wide open to being reported to trading standards for misleading customers about their product.

Posted September 21, 2009 at 12:32 am | Permalink

Premium Live services are being added to Central right now (already available in North America).

Android customers can manually add the Safety Camera database to your device, please follow the same instructions for WindowsMobile http://www.alk.eu.com/copilot/cameras.asp

• Andrew
        Posted September 24, 2009 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the info Christian. That’s really helpful.

Now if only I could get CoPilot to start on my G1, I could download the safety camera update!

(I raised a ticket with tech support on 20th Sep to say that since the latest update, it now takes CoPilot 3.5 hours to start … which is worse than useless)

• Graham
      Posted October 13, 2009 at 4:57 am | Permalink

Andrew – I use the pocketgpsworld.com database. You have to pay for it (unless you get a lifetime subscription by submitting a new camera) but it is updated weekly.

12. Arne Klein
    Posted September 22, 2009 at 7:05 am | Permalink

I have one major gripe with CoPilot Live for Android, and that’s the keyboard. I only just realized that the latest incarnation has added a querty keyboard, but I would much prefer the native Android keyboard.

HTC, for example, have added a wonderful “Compact qwerty” keyboard which has two letters on each key. In vertical screen orientation, it’s the perfect tradeoff between the usability of a full querty and the key size of a classic phone keypad. If you can, please discuss this with the (other?) developers to see if this makes any sense.

Besides that, thanks for an amazing product with an even better price-value-ratio!

Arne

13. Nigel
    Posted September 26, 2009 at 12:15 am | Permalink

I have just purchased Co-pilot live for my HTC Hero. However I have not been given a Product key, where is this please?

Also I have installed extra Voice via Co-pilot Central but they do not show up in Settings and therefore I cannot change the voice.

Please advise

14. Nigel
    Posted September 26, 2009 at 12:19 am | Permalink

Another question –

Although I have enabled Speed Limit settings I have not seen or had any warning of speed limits.

• Andrew
      Posted October 5, 2009 at 9:40 am | Permalink

These are beep-beep warnings if you exceed the speed limit by a margin which you can set *and* if the mapping knows about a speed limit for that stretch of road. In the UK, speed limit coverage is a bit patchy except on motorways and major trunk roads.

15. Ken
    Posted September 27, 2009 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Hi,

I downloaded CoPilot Live from Android market after paying the required amount. I then choose the option for downloading maps via the CoPilot Central 2 and selected the North America.

I downloaded it and it was 1.01 GB and I watched as the progress bar for transferring to phone completed. On the My Phone tab, it shows the map is on my phone.

However, when I run CoPilot Live, it still says no maps installed, even after downloading and transferring to device.

What could be the problem coz I am really frustrated and want to get rid of it if I can get my refund.

PS: I am an IT Tech guy so I have read and understood all the steps and followed them to the latter but it still says no maps installed.

• Rob
      Posted October 1, 2009 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Same boat — I just downloaded it yesterday. IT guys as well. Very good at following instructions to the letter. “No Maps Installed”. Grrr. I’ve downloaded it directly to the phone and from my PC through CoPilot Central 2.0. Still no joy.

• Rob
        Posted October 1, 2009 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

CoPilot Central 2.0 showed that the NA map was installed on my PC and on the phone.

After lots of fiddling with it and a few odd posts on the web, I solved the problem. I had to go into settings, data region and select the only option (completely unlabeled) and acknowledge the region change. CoPilot closed down on its own. Once I started it up, the map was recognized.

16. Nigel
    Posted October 2, 2009 at 1:18 am | Permalink

Do the extra voices downloaded by CoPilot Central have to then be “installed” manually?

If so – how please?

17. Andreas Rosander
    Posted October 2, 2009 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

HI I really like this app the best GPS app on android!
    but I have on ? on CoPilot Central:

Why is there “no products of that type on record” in every sections except maps?!?!?

Regards
    Andreas

Posted October 4, 2009 at 2:55 am | Permalink

Additional services and extras will be added over time. Premium Live Services will be available to buy via Central in Europe soon.

18. elmoono
    Posted October 4, 2009 at 4:52 am | Permalink

Since installing co pilot my sd card appears to be write protected within Hero. I can make directories from PC but no longer via ‘Astro’ on hero, when i try the ‘create’ button is greyed out. Copilot and all else working, but i can no longer make folders from Hero when out and about, and am wondering if the card will now porevent other apps from creating on the card.

Also the 3 additional UK voices in device center will not donwload and install to hero.

Not good! any fixes?

19. chris
    Posted October 6, 2009 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

When is the G1 1.6 (DONUT) build be ready? As of now your app is incompatible. :(

20. Luke
    Posted October 9, 2009 at 3:15 am | Permalink

purchased and using this fantastic software but central shows: none of this type when trying to buy more voices etc any help would be great also voice recognition and speech is greyed out

21. Jonathan
    Posted October 12, 2009 at 9:34 am | Permalink

Add Canada map to CoPilot Europe?
    I just bought the Europe edition, installed ok on HTC Hero.
    How could I download Canada maps? – about to go on trip, can’t see any purchase options that would allow me to get the extra map, simply says unlicenced, should integrate in option to purchase licence for additional country,
    regards,
    Jonathan

Posted October 13, 2009 at 12:00 am | Permalink

Hi Jonathan. You can buy maps of North America for CoPilot Live 8 for £21.99 from Central 2.0 (download free here: http://www.alk.eu.com/copilot/central/ ).

Once you’ve purchased it, the maps will download to your desktop and then you can transfer them to your device.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

22. unfitguy
    Posted October 16, 2009 at 2:08 am | Permalink

Any update on a release for traffic for the UK?

Also experiencing Central Issues as discribed in this thread any update?

Thanks

Posted October 16, 2009 at 9:48 am | Permalink

Traffic will be available for the UK very soon.

23. Posted October 16, 2009 at 8:59 am | Permalink

What have you guys done with 8.0.0.444? Custom POI imports have stopped working. Is this deliberate or a bug, and will it be fixed?

Posted October 16, 2009 at 9:47 am | Permalink

This will be fixed with the next update. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

24. Msng
    Posted October 22, 2009 at 8:48 am | Permalink

i bought my htc hero in Singapore where paid applications are not supported in the market plaace. Is there another way to purchase copilot for the N.america version?

Posted October 23, 2009 at 2:19 am | Permalink

We’re working on making this available to purchase as a download from our own webstore. We’ll post when we have more news.

• Msng
        Posted November 6, 2009 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

Hi Christian

Any updates on making copilot purchasable from the webstore?
        Looking forward to getting this app

25. Carl Hindle
    Posted October 22, 2009 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Since updating Firmware to 1.6 on T-mobile G1,CO-PILOT has stopped working,it was fine before the update,it wont load up and freezes has anyone any ideas

• Clive
      Posted October 22, 2009 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Is this true for anyone else? If so I don’t want to upgrade the firmware to Donut if it’s going to stop CoPilot from working (although I don’t know if there’s an option not to upgrade once your phone detects it needs to). Will there be a “Donut ready” upgrade soon?

26. Dan
    Posted October 23, 2009 at 2:58 am | Permalink

Hello, I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask this question; I’ve just purchased a T-mobile Pulse (manufactured by Huawei, Model: U8220) in the UK, this is an Android OS based device.

I would like to purchase Copilot however at the moment there is no official information stating that this phone is supported.

My questions are:
    a) Will copilot work with this mobile?
    b) if NOT, will it be supporting this device in the future and when?

Thanks!

Posted October 23, 2009 at 3:35 am | Permalink

Hi Dan. We haven’t tested on that particular device just yet. If you purchase CoPilot from Android Market and it doesn’t work you can request a refund from Android Market within 24-hours.

• Dan
        Posted November 19, 2009 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Hi Christian, I tried installing the app from the market but it wouldn’t complete the installation (stuck on ‘downloading’ with no info on the progress bar), So I got a refund.

Now I don’t know if it was a ‘T-mobile Pulse’ related problem, something wrong with my Internet connection or just a glitch in the system at the time.

I’m still none the wiser about whether this app will work on my phone and I can’t ‘try it’ again as I won’t qualify for a refund the second time around. Any idea on if/when this phone will be officially supported?

Thanks!

Posted November 20, 2009 at 2:05 am | Permalink

Hi Dan. If you buy the download from our website ( http://www.alk.eu.com/buynow/copilot/ ). Once you’ve downloaded the zip folder and copied the ’2577′ and ‘copilot’ folders to your device, simply start up your Android browser and visit http://www.copilotlive.com/androidinstall to complete installation. If it installs and you enter your product key it will be working. If for any reason you can’t download and install and your product key is not activated then we will issue you a full immediate refund.

• Chris
            Posted November 20, 2009 at 6:33 am | Permalink

OK, will try that – I originally installed it via Market and then downloaded the maps via my G1 (with WiFi).

Thanks
            Chris (not Dan)

• Chris
            Posted November 20, 2009 at 6:51 am | Permalink

OK, before I try that – two things:

1. The download says “For Windows Mobile Devices Only” – is this correct?
            2. How do I contact you to get a refund if it all goes horribly wrong (previous experience points to this as a distinct possibility).

Cheers
            Chris (not Dan)

• Chris
            Posted November 20, 2009 at 9:14 am | Permalink

Hi Christian

All sorted now, thanks for your help.

Chris

27. Posted October 24, 2009 at 5:01 am | Permalink

I purchased copilot live about a fortnight ago one Friday afternoon, thinking I could test it out on my drive from london to manchester later that day. It took about 2 hours to download which put me quite close to 6PM when I left work so I was surprised when I excitedly started it up and it told me I now had to choose a map to download. What!?

The UK and Ireland map was something like 130MB. So I just did the drive without it.

Since then I still haven’t managed to get a single map downloaded. I’ve had dozens of attempts to download “UK and Ireland” over wifi onto my Samsung Galaxy, I’ve even tried starting with just the smaller maps like “Southwest England” but to absolutely no avail. Every single time it fails. The only other method of getting the maps is via a desktop application that only runs on Windows (I have a mac) so the application is completely useless.

I’ve already got a Tom Tom Go 720 which is brilliant but I wanted to give Co-Pilot a punt reasoning that it was only about twenty quid, included live traffic updates that my Tom Tom needs hooking up to a phone for and would cut down on the number of devices I had to carry around. So far its been nothing but a huge drain on the battery and a waste of a few hours trying to get it to work.

This was also a nice discovery: The only parts of CoPilot Live that are actually available in the UK at the moment are “Live Link” which shows you the location of all your other friends that use the software (ie no-body) and “Live Weather” which shows you the current weather… guess what, I’m driving my car so I’m already pretty much aware of what the weather’s doing. I’m British, that’s all we ever talk about, are the wipers on? Then it’s raining.

There was no mention at all of “Live Traffic” being unavailable, and if I’m honest that was the main selling point for me. Marketplace had no mention of it and the reviews (probably fake I’m now thinking) were excellent.

I guess that this is an example of why Apple so tightly control apps in the app store. Despite the laborious and restrictive approvals process the apps in the app store do at least work.

28. Pascal
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Ive had copilot for while now and worked fine, i use it all the time for work. However android 1.6 is giving me “cant load code” errors since the 1.6 upgrade.
    Many ppl have paid for this app and many ppl have their phone upgraded. This should be a priority fix imo. and untill now i have had no news/update/patch for this issue.

Not nice Dev’s!! you are forcing ppl to opt for other software than your own… but then again we’ve already paid…

29. Glen
    Posted October 27, 2009 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Hi, i’ve just purchased copilot 8 for my new HTC Tattoo which came pre-loaded on a 2gb micro SD card. The system works a treat, but the programme almost takes up the complete card, leaving no space for photos, vids & music which have to be stored on the card. I’ve tried copying over the software over to a bigger card without joy.
    I’m left with no option but to leave the nav card in the car for when needed, and use the phone supplied card for everyday use. Not really what i wanted.!

Any feedback gratefully received.

• FabDelDongo
      Posted November 1, 2009 at 1:54 am | Permalink

Hi,

2 GB is not much. I would advise you to buy a 8 GB class 6, they cost 15 EUR.

Cheers, FabDelDongo

• CS
      Posted November 3, 2009 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

I upgraded to a 4mb card to accommodate USA maps, and found that copying *everything* from one card to the other worked fine. You can always delete unwanted apps/pictures etc from your new card once installed.

30. suckered
    Posted October 29, 2009 at 3:33 am | Permalink

Junk. Cant download maps. no response from alk. No reason for not being able to download maps. Crashes phone when shutting program down. Junk. Junk. not impressed.

• CS
      Posted November 3, 2009 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Well considering it works just fine for most folk on here, ever thought it might be something you’re doing wrong? Don’t just slag it off, ask for help with specifics and someone might have the answer.

• Suckered
      Posted November 22, 2009 at 6:58 am | Permalink

Hmmmm. Point taken to a degree. However, most people here seem to to be having one problem or another. I’ll take back the junk statement. Did eventually manage to get it to work ish. But, it’s still not really that good with respect to all the little things that are wrong with both the software, but more importantly the lack of support. I have e-mailed ALK and left messages on the my account section, but haven’t had any replies or responses at all. As stated elsewhere on this forum, ALK seem uninterested in supporting customers, just selling the product. The keys are too small, the screen touches aren’t very sensitive, but with other apps the touch screen works great, so its not the screen at fault. I have to enter my 15 digit google code again. Why? Cant enter co-ordinates as indicated, wont let us enter mmm, only mm, so co-ordinates are wildly out. The maps for the uk are out of date, or not correct at least, because some motorway junctions are not shown correctly and co-pilot will let you drive in the wrong lane thereby forcing a detour, because you suddenly find yourself on a new road because the left hand lane suddenly cut away from the motorway. Trivial I suppose, but still not right surely.

31. FabDelDongo
    Posted October 29, 2009 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Hi,

Let me first congratulate you for the great software you have made.

I have a few feature requests that could make the software even better.

* I am using copilot through my car audio system via a 3.5 cable. I also hear podcasts at the same time from my phone. The problem is that the copilot voice is much too much loud. I guess that should not be complicated to make copilot more quiet when headphones are pluged in.

* The navigation in the menu is not always consistent: sometimes you can only close the menu instead of geting back the the previous screen (example: Close POI).

* The buttons zoom in, zoom out, and option in the navigation mode are small and hard to be reached when driving. Either you make the surface of the transparent button bigger (without making the untransparent icon bigger) or you find something else. One could use the double touch funtionnality to make a bigger menu appear for instance.

* Similar point: the current speed limit is too small and hard to read

* Why don’t you allow the speed warning to be triggered when you are just over the current speed limit? The current minimum is 10km/h over the legal speed limit.

Kind regards,
    FabDelDongo

• Clive
      Posted November 3, 2009 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

I have similar comments to FDD, in that that a recent update seemed to make all the on-screen text smaller (on my HTC Magic at least). Perhaps a “font size” option, for those of us who like to be able to read the name of the next road coming up, etc? Also, would it be possible to have the option to switch safety camera alerts off and on under the navigation screen ‘options’ button? Would be great to be able to easily silence those when you hit a bit of road you know well that has cameras every few hundred yards (like the M25 in the UK!).

• Graham
        Posted November 9, 2009 at 8:29 am | Permalink

On the subject of general usability, can we lose the ‘Enter a stop for directions’ line? It just wastes screen real estate when not navigating anywhere. And how can you tell this thing you no longer wish to navigate to a destination? Or carry on past a destination once you have reached it?

32. Posted November 3, 2009 at 4:30 am | Permalink

how do i get uk live trafic ?

Posted November 3, 2009 at 4:34 am | Permalink

It’s not available just yet but will be later this month.

• Debbie
        Posted November 3, 2009 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Sorry to sound sceptical Christian, but you have been saying that Live Traffic for the UK would be available this month since August (see the comments on the thread at http://blog.copilotlive.net/?p=532)

There have been numerous times since then I have ended up stuck in traffic whilst using CoPilot which could have been avoided if the Traffic services had been released when promised.

Having seen various new releases of Live8 on various platforms whilst waiting for the Live Traffic to be released, I amnow thinking that ALK are more interested in selling the apps to as many people as possible rather than looking after existing customers.

I am now looking into alternatives with traffic updates as I think we will be waiting a long time before live traffic uk is released.

33. Ian
    Posted November 8, 2009 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

Hi,

downloaded and been using SW for a few months now and great programme thankyou. Installed update 8.0.0.493 through the market on to my google g1 with donut and now i get the red co pilot live 8 load up screen and then it freezes. Will not go any further. I have spare space on my SD card and i have uninstalled and re installed.Sure its all sortable but need help.

Cheers

• Chris
      Posted November 18, 2009 at 6:23 am | Permalink

Just spotted your comment a few minutes after posting a very similar question – looks like I won’t be getting a reply any day soon then!

Glad I got a refund now…

34. US-Bob
    Posted November 10, 2009 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Why is my Google checkout order number being flagged as invalid? I submitted a support request on Nov-7-2009 and have had no response. A response here or to my support request would be greatly appreciated!

Posted November 11, 2009 at 1:44 am | Permalink

Many apologies for the inconvenience caused. We’re investigating that issue right now and hope to have a solution very soon. We’ll post on the blog as soon as we have news to share.

• Tim
        Posted November 23, 2009 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

Any word on this yet? My AUD$80 software has been useless for the past few weeks. Surely you guys are treating this as an urgent problem?!

35. ashley harrison
    Posted November 11, 2009 at 7:28 am | Permalink

Hi, great software, well above par over tomtom.
    Do you have a release date for traffic and fuel prices as yet?
    Ashley

• Rich
      Posted November 17, 2009 at 11:36 am | Permalink

I would like to know this as well, traffic not working is the only thing stopping me from buying this app!

36. Chris
    Posted November 18, 2009 at 6:20 am | Permalink

Just purchased CPL8 for my T-Mo G1 (8GB card) and very disappointed that it simply does not work!

It seemed to function OK until I downloaded the Maps, then it just got to start-up screen for a short time and – gone. No warnings or messages, just disappears. Seems to keep running in background, but can’t use it.

I uninstalled it and got a refund – but would really like to have a working version.

Any news on why this happens or when it might be fixed?

Chris

37. Nikki Locke
    Posted November 21, 2009 at 11:14 am | Permalink

I have downloaded the all of UK map – should I also download the smaller maps (e.g. London) – do they give extra detail, or are they just partial maps for people who don’t have enough space for the whole thing on their SD card?

38. gvaragona
    Posted November 23, 2009 at 4:07 am | Permalink

I have purchased Copilot v 8.o on my HTC Magic donut (1.6). Everything seems to work properly but I am not able to choose destination. I called italian phone support a week ago and they told me that a fix was on the way….but so far nothing happens. Can anyone help me?
    (now I am a bit disappointed…..!)

39. Levster
    Posted November 28, 2009 at 2:03 am | Permalink

Hi,

I am having some really annoying issues trying to download maps using Copilot Central 2.0. I have a HTC Hero and bought Copilot with UK/Ireland maps from the Android Market place. I don’t currently have a Wi-Fi connection so I am trying to download the maps to my PC so I can load them onto my phone. However, each time I click the “Download” button I get the following Unhandled Exception error:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at ALK.CoPilot.FileManager.MemoryOptions.get_DeviceConnected()
    at ALK.CoPilot.Central.Controls.MapDataDownloadControl._confirmActiveSyncTransfer()
    at ALK.CoPilot.Central.Controls.MapDataDownloadControl.btnDownload_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ALK.CoPilot.Central
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.62
    Win32 Version: 2.0.0.62
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ALK%20Technologies/CoPilot%20Central%202.0/ALK.CoPilot.Central.exe
    ALK.Utilities
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ALK%20Technologies/CoPilot%20Central%202.0/ALK.Utilities.DLL
    System.Windows.Forms
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    ALK.CoPilot.Central.Business
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ALK%20Technologies/CoPilot%20Central%202.0/ALK.CoPilot.Central.Business.DLL
    ALK.Controls
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ALK%20Technologies/CoPilot%20Central%202.0/ALK.Controls.DLL
    ALK.CoPilot.FileManager
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ALK%20Technologies/CoPilot%20Central%202.0/ALK.CoPilot.FileManager.DLL
    System.Management
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll
    ALK.Communication
    Assembly Version: 1.1.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ALK%20Technologies/CoPilot%20Central%202.0/ALK.Communication.DLL
    ALK.Business
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ALK%20Technologies/CoPilot%20Central%202.0/ALK.Business.DLL
    System.Deployment
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Deployment/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Deployment.dll
    System.Xml
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    ALK.CoPilot.DataUtilities
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ALK%20Technologies/CoPilot%20Central%202.0/ALK.CoPilot.DataUtilities.DLL
    System.Configuration
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
    System.Web.Services
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Web.Services/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Web.Services.dll
    System.Data
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
    ALK.CoPilot.Central.Business.XmlSerializers
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ALK%20Technologies/CoPilot%20Central%202.0/ALK.CoPilot.Central.Business.XmlSerializers.DLL
    ALK.Net
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.1
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ALK%20Technologies/CoPilot%20Central%202.0/ALK.Net.DLL
    ALK.Security
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ALK%20Technologies/CoPilot%20Central%202.0/ALK.Security.DLL
    gu3wofir
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

• John
      Posted December 7, 2009 at 8:58 am | Permalink

I’m having the same problem.

I’ve tried on Windows7 (32 and 64bit), Vista SP2 and XP SP3.

I’m about 5mins from requesting a refund from the market place :(

Shame as this worked really well on my m8s iPhone :(

• mahjong
        Posted December 12, 2009 at 9:42 am | Permalink

I got exactly the same problem. I buy Europe and the download click do the same. So I went into the phone and download directly only Iberia (due to storage restrictions) but I would like to download it in the PC and all I got is this crappy Exception error.

3 guys one problem no solution. I hope Tomtom arrive soon to android world.

• Daniel
        Posted December 13, 2009 at 4:52 am | Permalink

I have the same problem.
        Everytime I click on “Download” for the Map I have licensed, I get this stupid error.
        I’ve tried it on my desktop pc (win7 x64) and my netbook (win7 x86).
        Always the same error.
        I was looking for it on google, and the Microsoft knowledge base says:

To resolve this problem, register the Adodb.dll file in the global assembly cache (GAC). On a computer where only the .NET Framework is installed, the file Gacutil.exe does not exist.. Either obtain the gacutil file by installing Microsoft .NET Framework SDK, or create a Visual Studio.NET setup project that uses the installer to install the correct components.

To register Adodb.dll in the GAC, follow these steps:

1. Click Start and then click Run.
        2. In the Run dialog box, type the following command, and then click OK:
        C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv1.0.3705gacutil /i C:Program FilesMicrosoft.NETPrimary Interop Assembliesadodb.dll

So I installed the SDK for 1.1, 2.0 and 3.5 and did this, but it didn’t work.

this sucks.

40. Shane
    Posted November 29, 2009 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Hi, are Australian maps available for Andorid yet?

Posted November 30, 2009 at 8:36 am | Permalink

If you are in Australia and don’t have CoPilot then you can buy the app (depending on your telephone operator) from Android Market with Australasia maps. If you already have CoPilot then you should be able to buy the map upgrade from Central 2.0. If you don’t have access to Android Market and want to buy CoPilot Live with Australasia maps, then we will have that available to download next week from our website.

41. Adrian
    Posted December 1, 2009 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Any chance of maps of Israel?

42. John McC
    Posted December 4, 2009 at 6:30 am | Permalink

Hi guys n gals, had Copilot v8 for Android installed on my T Mobile Pulse….great….then the bloody thing crashed and had to do a hard reset….of course couldnt tell ALK or make the software uninstall or what ever is required to be done…..restarted Pulse to find that the map data is still on the SD card, but the programs gone…..cant find any way of reinstalling software other than buying it again…..HELP HELP HELP