Hands on… with the HTC Touch HD

touch_hd-copilotI’ve just got my hands on a pre-production Touch HD, which is HTC’s latest GPS-enabled smartphone. It packs HTC’s custom TouchFLO user interface, support for HSDPA networks, a 5 megapixel camera, a 3.5mm audio jack, and best of all, a massive 3.8inch wide super-bright WVGA screen (800×480).

Initial impressions of the device are very good, the LCD display on this is (by far) the best I’ve ever seen on any mobile device. You’ll have to see it to believe it, the picture to the right really doesn’t do it justice. Not only is it very hi-res, but its also very bright and the colours look extremely vibrant. The TouchFlo interface is faster and more responsive than previous versions.

Our CoPilot development team here are hard at work to bring an optimised version for the hi-res WVGA screen (800×480) and already its looking very good. We’ll post more news nearer the time to launch regarding CoPilot availability for this device.

[ratings]

This entry was posted in Uncategorised and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. flossy
    Posted November 4, 2008 at 8:06 am | Permalink

I’m expecting mine in the post on Friday 7th. Can I use any WM Co-Pilot Live 7 version on this device or do I have to wait for the optimised version? If I have to wait for the optinmised version how long will it be?

Thanks

flossy

2. Nick
    Posted November 6, 2008 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

I’m also interested in the release date for this version. If I get standard Co-pilot now, will there be a cheap or free upgrade path to the Touch HD specific version?

3. Posted November 7, 2008 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

I’ve just received my Touch HD and bought a copy of Co-pilot 7 (which appears to work well) but I would be very interested in a *free* update to a Touch HD specific version please …

4. Phil
    Posted November 9, 2008 at 7:17 am | Permalink

Just got my Touch HD, looking forward to a Co-Pilot specific version. just waiting for Brodit to release a car mount too!

5. David
    Posted November 12, 2008 at 7:31 am | Permalink

I have just transferred my copy of CoPilot v7 to my new Touch HD and it is working OK, but it needs better responses for touch scrolling and keyboard due to lack of dpad.

6. Mark Tudor
    Posted November 13, 2008 at 4:48 am | Permalink

Just adding my voice to the list – I’ve been a copilot user for longer than I can remember now and whilst CoPilot looks ok on the HD, it’s really not ideal. I’m also hoping for a free update path to improve the experience on my Touch HD.

What’s the official word, ALK?

7. Rob Shipley
    Posted November 13, 2008 at 4:52 am | Permalink

I’ve put my version of co-pilot on my HD and it works ok. Just not perfect!!! The map is just stretched up the screen!!!

I’ve been using Co-pilot for a while and would be interested in what ALK are thinking in regards to upgrades for existing users? Will it be free? Will it be a reduced cost or will we have to pay the full price??? I would expect a free upgrade.

8. Lawry
    Posted November 24, 2008 at 4:09 am | Permalink

Lots of good questions here about the compatability issues with the Touch HD (which I know ALK are working on) but a marked abscence of ANSWERS.
    Any chance for replies from ALK ?????????????????

9. Paul
    Posted November 30, 2008 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Got my Touch HD, Brodit Holder ordered, just awaiting the Co-pilot HD Version so I can purchase any idea when this might be ALK?

Having to run my old TyTn II with TTN 6 until then!

Please tell us it’s soon…

10. Paul
    Posted December 10, 2008 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

any news yet on the touch HD version?

11. Roadrunner
    Posted December 12, 2008 at 2:56 am | Permalink

Is there any news when the HTC Touch HD version of Copilot 7 will be released?

12. Paul
    Posted December 31, 2008 at 2:32 am | Permalink

Still waiting for the Touch HD compatible version – don’t know how much longer though, I need a solution.

13. sony ericsson c905 accessories
    Posted January 7, 2009 at 4:22 am | Permalink

This is a brilliant little phone. I’ve had a play with this and found that the hi-res screen was very touch responsive. Very impressed with it’s usability.

14. Posted January 14, 2009 at 3:27 am | Permalink

Handango will have the new version available for the Touch HD at the end of this week. For any current customers of CoPilot Live 7 with HTC Touch HD, please contact ukcustservice@alk.eu.com with your device model and product key and they will assist you with the HTC touch HD version.

15. Paul
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Christian,

This is fantastic news! I should receive Copilot 7 tomorrow and will be straight on to customer service for the update.

Thanks.

16. dave
    Posted January 15, 2009 at 9:20 am | Permalink

Will the HD software be available anywhere other than handango as they dont accept uk debit cards or Paypal from UK accounts.

17. Roadrunner
    Posted January 17, 2009 at 2:30 am | Permalink

I cannot find he new Copliot Lve 7 software at Handango. When will it be available?

18. Lawry
    Posted January 20, 2009 at 6:37 am | Permalink

I’ve tried today on 20th Jan and still no sign on the UK Handango site.

19. Paul
    Posted January 21, 2009 at 8:58 am | Permalink

Can anyone recommend their Route Settings to me?

I would be most grateful.

Thanks.

20. GW
    Posted January 26, 2009 at 3:14 am | Permalink

Any update on this?

21. NickG
    Posted January 29, 2009 at 5:27 am | Permalink

Quick question to any of you who have bought CP7 – Can you transfer the software and maps to your own MicroSD card? As the MicroSD slot on the Touch HD is not exactly convenient to keep swapping cards…

22. Steve
    Posted February 6, 2009 at 5:49 am | Permalink

Just got the Touch HD versions of copilot 7 installed on my new touch HD but a problem has occured. As soon as i launch copilot, it activates the HSDPA connection on my device. If i stop it it just starts up again. I’m not subscribed to the live tracking or to the traffic info, very annoying, support can’t help.

• Posted February 6, 2009 at 9:35 am | Permalink

Please check your device settings and preferences of any other third-party applications you may have installed. CoPilot does not do any online checks on that version of CoPilot unless you have Live or Traffic enabled. Go to your settings within CoPilot and make sure Traffic and Live is disabled.

23. Paul
    Posted February 18, 2009 at 2:44 am | Permalink

Had Copilot 7 for Touch HD for a month now – wish it was all good – but it’s not…

It gives really ‘odd ball’ routes – could of cost me an hour yesterday! Cannot download ‘Trips’ from Copilot Central (which gives different routes – even when settings are the same). It also crashes occassionally giving an error ‘not enough memory to run’ – very annoying.

Sadly it looks as if I am going to have to find another Sat Nav solution going forward as I cannot rely on the Copilot System I have purchased:(

Am I the only one here having these problems – I can’t believe I am?

24. Ashley
    Posted February 23, 2009 at 7:06 am | Permalink

Has anyone else had any response from the email address Christian posted a while ago enquiring about CoPilot for the Touch HD? I tried over a week ago, and i’m still yet to recieve a response!

25. adi
    Posted October 13, 2009 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

How can I activate the detailed european maps on my HD touch please?

One Trackback