FREE CoPilot GPS App Makes its Debut on the App Stores

CoPilot GPS icon

We’re excited to announce our brand new CoPilot GPS app is now available to download for FREE from iTunes and Google Play!

CoPilot GPS is our new, powerful offline route planning and local exploring app that gets you everywhere you need to go without relying on your mobile data connection.  Detailed maps of an entire country or region are stored on your smartphone or tablet, so you’ll be able to calculate routes and get driving or walking directions even when there’s no cell coverage.  Millions of Points of Interest (POIs) are built into the app, making it easy to locate nearby restaurants, stores, gas stations and more.  You can also search for local businesses and attractions using Bing™ and Wikipedia.  And did we mention the best part…….it’s FREE!!!

Check out CoPilot GPS featured on Engadget and CNET

Here’s the full list of features available in the app:

• – Premium quality 2D street maps stored on-board your device for offline use
  • – Exclusive ALK MapSure™ service provides free monthly in-app map improvements and quarterly map updates
  • – Millions of Points of Interest (POIs) built in with in-app dialing
  • – Powerful route planning with a multi-stop trip optimizer
  • – Alternate Routes:  CoPilot GPS will provide up to 3 ways to your destination
  • – Drag and drop to adjust your route or destination
  • – Driving directions:  Manually preview through the turns to your destination
  • – Walking mode:  Explore unfamiliar cities on foot with ease
  • – Social sharing:  Share your location with friends on Twitter & Facebook *
  • View the CoPilot GPS feature gallery

Looking for a premium navigation experience?

If you’re looking for 3D maps and voice-guidance including street names, you can upgrade to the full CoPilot Live voice-guided, turn-by-turn navigation through your CoPilot GPS app via in-app purchase.    Just tap MyCoPilot> Features & Upgrades> Full voice-guided 3D navigation

Unlimited use of full navigation is only $19.99!  You’ll have access to dynamic 3D maps, speed limit warnings, clear spoken directions with street names and realistic ClearTurn™ display with lane indicator arrows and exit sign information.

Let us know if you have any questions about the new app.

Happy Travels!

This entry was posted in Android News & Updates, CoPilot Premium, iPad News & Updates and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Darcy Boese
    Posted May 10, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

I cannot download the “Canada” map, it just gives an error “This map was not found [-1:136]“

• Adrienne Lieberman // Marketing Coordinator, North America
      Posted May 10, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Hi Darcy Boese,

I apologize for the inconvenience you’re experiencing, it looks like there might be a couple of different issues that could be possible. If you e-mail techsupport@alk.com, they will help you resolve the issue directly.

Thank you.

2. Alan
    Posted May 10, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Clarification Please.

Okay, this version has the potential to be extremely confusing. I own the Live version and the HD version with most options optioned. And I use CoPilot very regularly.

I downloaded the GPS version for iPhone/iPad, about a 30M download. There are NO maps included. And apparently no free maps are available. A new user will be extremely confused with a blank screen. It does appear that I can load all of my licensed maps and options to the GPS version. But a new user will not have this option.

Q. So why would I want to?
    Most importantly: What exactly is the difference(s) between CoPilot Live HD and CoPilot GPS.
    Also: And what about saying that 2d maps are included when none are included or available?

-Alan

• Adrienne Lieberman // Marketing Coordinator, North America
      Posted May 10, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Hi Alan,

I apologize for the inconvenience you’re experiencing. Can you tell me if you used an existing or a new user ID when you activated your Copilot GPS app?

• Alan
        Posted May 10, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Thanks Adrienne,

An existing ID, but how does that info answer question #1 ?

Also, the app never asked me for an ID.

-Alan.

• Adrienne Lieberman // Marketing Coordinator, North America
          Posted May 14, 2012 at 8:07 am | Permalink

Hi Alan,

Regarding your first question, this can happen if you have modified your CoPilot ID from when you initially activated CoPilot. It can also be due to your device language set to something other than US English.

Can you try uninstalling your CoPilot GPS from your device AND from your iTunes. Then re-download CoPilot GPS to your device. When you first launch CoPilot GPS, you should see the first screen asking you to enter your existing CoPilot ID or create a new one. If you do not see this initial screen then please let us know so we can fix this for you as soon as possible.

• Alan
            Posted May 14, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the reply Adrienne.

-Alan.

3. Horatiu
    Posted May 12, 2012 at 6:14 am | Permalink

Hi,
    I just downloaded you app. It’s pretty good, but I need maps for Romania. I have downloaded them but the street I live on doesn’t appear. I am really considering buying the 3D maps upgrade but I need to know first if the quarterly map updates are free or not. Frankly, I’m not able to pay 25$ for the premium features and another 30$ every 3 months for what should be something natural for this type of app. Anyhow, it looks great on my Galaxy Nexus.
    Hope that you answer!

• Alan
      Posted May 12, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Horatiu,

I am a long time CoPilot user on iOS, and once you purchase a map, the upgrades to the map are free and downloadable. There is a notification message within the program. The update downloads the just changes and is very fast compared to the initial map download.

The updates are about in 45days as guaranteed in the web site. This applies to all versions. And you can submit a map correction within the program. You can submit your personal street as missing within the program.

Also, in the past every so often, whenever there is program update, there is usually major map update too.

The Web site may be a bit confusing bcd even though CoPilot GPS is a different program, it follows all of the CoPilot Live help and forums both within the program and on the web site.

-Alan.

• Keven
        Posted June 6, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

The last Map update was in March for February map change requests. I submitted some in March and have not seen them yet. Going on 3 months now. I have sent repeated emails (both email and through my account on their site) asking when the will e available but to this day, they have never answered any of them. So much for the 45 day Mapsure guarantee.

4. Stuart Cook
    Posted May 12, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

I had the full co pilot and changed handsets, and as i no longer had the account tried the ‘free’ version… the only gripe i have with it are

1) take the 3rd turning at the circle (!) i presume thats roundabout

2) unlike the full version it hoards the bluetooth, so when i pair it with my headunit i cannot hear the radio whilst i drive using the sat nav…

if there could be an update to resolve it would be a good free app, otherwise i think i’ll be going back to the navfree app as it does have this …

• Adrienne Lieberman // Marketing Coordinator, North America
      Posted May 14, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Hi Stuart,

I apologize for the inconvenience you are experiencing. The answer to your first question is yes, a “circle” is the same as a “roundabout”.

Regarding your next question, it seems as though you are pairing your phone with your head-unit. And it seems as though your CoPilot Live is set at a volume that is drastically louder than the radio volume. Unfortunately we do not have a fix for this at this time, you will have to adjust your volume settings to reach a happy medium between the two audio sources.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

5. Josh
    Posted June 28, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

This took much longer to release than originally announced and so it wasn’t out in time for my trip to Europe at the end of April. But I just downloaded it and I look forward to checking it out, mostly because the other options available in the market for device-resident maps aren’t very good. But my experience thus far has been frustrating. “Free” is used WAY too liberally here. Yes, the app is free–but maps aren’t. Well, maps for 1 region are free but after that, you have to pay up. I’m all for ALK making money so I don’t have a beef with you guys charging for this but you should be much more clear in your use of the word “free.” The app itself does make the situation relatively clear before you download the maps. So knowing that the Europe maps cost more than the US maps, I chose Europe on the region chooser screen–only to find that the full Europe maps cost money no matter what and that it’s only one country or European sub-region that is free. Well, that’s no good–in that case, give me the US maps. Oh wait: even though I haven’t downloaded an actual map yet, because of the fact that I’ve gone to the Europe screen, I’m now unable to get back to the US screen. This is a very customer-unfriendly behavior. I went ahead and downloaded the Italian maps and I’ll compare them to those I used on my vacation and, in spite of this experience, if they look good, I’ll still be open to buying other regions one day in the future when I’m traveling somewhere outside the US with maps available. But here’s where ALK loses out: by not letting me go back to choose the US when I hadn’t yet even download a map, I don’t have the ability to use the app for my normal map needs here in the US, meaning there’s no chance I’ll bring in incremental revenue for ALK by deciding that I like the app better than the built-in app and that I accordingly want to pay for some add-on feature.

8 Trackbacks