How to Install CoPilot Live to a New Device or After Upgrading your ROM

We’ve received a lot of inquiries from CoPilot Live Premium and
Standard customers about how to re-install the app to a new device or after upgrading an Android device ROM.

*Please note that we cannot guarantee support for unofficial or
pre-release Android ROMs*

Here are a few steps you’ll need to take to avoid activation
issues:

1.  Uninstall CoPilot Live Premium or CoPilot Live Standard from your
existing device or factory reset the device to completely remove CoPilot Live.

2.  Delete the following folder from your memory card: com.alk.copilot.*
(you need to delete the entire folder from the memory card).

3.  On your new device – or after you have installed your new ROM –
please now re-install CoPilot Live from the Android Market. Do NOT perform any
kind of restore.

4.  Once installed, start CoPilot Live and follow the first run wizard.

5.  Download the maps again from in-app: MyCoPilot > My
Maps
(do NOT copy the maps across or restore these from a backup).

You should now be able to activate your CoPilot Live Premium or
CoPilot Live Standard app.

If you have any additional questions, please let us know.

This entry was posted in Android News & Updates, Hints and Tips and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. xdalaw
    Posted July 6, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Why did you make the activation changes from version 8? Many of us like to flash to new ROMs regularly, and those of us who were CP8 customers NEVER had this problem before. The activation apparently was tied to our Market Account or to the unique number for our phone hardware.
    This new approach needlessly frustrates your remaining customers, and keeps other potential customers from buying CP again. (I know this from speaking to my friends who have decided NOT to buy the new version because of this hassle.)
    This shrinking and competitive market for paid GPS software apps is the last place a developer should be changing things to FRUSTRATE your existing or potential customers.
    I wish I had waited and read the forum comments about this issue before I paid. I’d have kept using my CP8 and Google Maps Navigation.

• Devon Valenti // Marketing Manager, North America
      Posted July 7, 2011 at 8:40 am | Permalink

Hi xdalaw,

We’re sorry to hear your frustration but this is our policy. If you need any additional information please let us know.

Thank you.

• Koray Kukrer
        Posted September 15, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

This is totally unacceptable. The culture in a consumer facing organization should be towards to correcting the issues related to the technology implementations.

2. Larry
    Posted July 6, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

Sorry….. this is too much work. I can’t use standard backup and restore routines such as titanium backup? No thanks!
    With all due respect, why do you think your app is so special that it deserves special treatment beyond every other android app?

You’ve convinced me not to purchase CoPilot 9.

• Devon Valenti // Marketing Manager, North America
      Posted July 7, 2011 at 8:39 am | Permalink

Hi Larry,

Thank you.

3. Vadim Gouskov
    Posted July 8, 2011 at 10:03 am | Permalink

Hi .I had to do factory reset and after that to download copilot North America it will ask for my credit card info.

• Adrienne Lieberman // Marketing Coordinator, North America
      Posted July 8, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

Hello Vadim,

This is happening for one of two reasons.

If you are using a different account name for iTunes of Google account on your device after you have reset the phone, then it will automatically ask you to purchase CoPilot Live again.

but If you are using the same account and being asked to re-purchase again, they will need to address that with the respective market.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Adrienne

4. Leonie
    Posted July 9, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

PROBLEMS WITH INSTALLATION COPILOT LIVE 8 ON SAMSUNG ANDROID SMARTPHONE – Error message I keep getting during installation is “Unable to Locate Grid Directory”:

I am trying to install Copilot Live 8 on my Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 Android smartphone but keep seeing the error message stated above. I downloaded the application through the Android Marketplace on 26 Jun 11 and was able to load the program onto my phone; however, when I tried to download Australasian maps I started to see the error message “Unable to Locate Grid Directory”. I cannot get past this point and cannot use the program yet.

I submitted a question about this problem to Copilot on 26 Jun 11 and have not yet got any response from Copilot to my Question (Reference #110626-000034).

Does anyone on this blog have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

• Adrienne Lieberman // Marketing Coordinator, North America
      Posted July 12, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Hi Leonie,

Give support another contact, I have notified them of your issue. Please let us know if you have any other questions

5. JohnM
    Posted July 10, 2011 at 8:45 am | Permalink

I have to say that I hit a wall after upgrading from Ver8 to Live in that I had to wipe my phone and reinstall everything and for a week tech support had me in circles. And nothing worked.

However, the instructions here (and the tip on transferring between accounts) worked perfectly and solved the problem easily. And the product has been running flawlessly. Now, I’m getting a new phone tomorrow, and will see just how easily I can do the deactivate/activate this time but based on how it (finally) worked using the instructions here, I’m thinking I should be good.

So thanks for the advice, but do share it with the tech support people; I had fixed it using these while they were still having me do other non productive things.

• Adrienne Lieberman // Marketing Coordinator, North America
      Posted July 12, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Hi John,

Thank you very much, hope now that the problem is fixed everything runs smoothly.

6. Vito
    Posted July 12, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

The above instructions didn’t work for me.

Frankly I find this new licensing scheme to be troublesome and unnecessary. Nobody is going to pay to put this software on more than one device when Android comes with free Google Navigation – yet in the hope that you can get people to buy more than one copy of your app you are causing great frustration to your paying customers…

7. Michael McGee
    Posted July 12, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

I have contacted you through 5 e-mail’s, both your’s and standard e-mail. I have called for up to two hours straight, and only got busy signal’s. My hard drive crashed, and I am trying to reinstall co-pilot 11 on my new lap top. I can’t uninstall it from my old laptop, since it crashed. I have given you my key code, and requested that you deactivate it. Is anybody there????????

• Adrienne Lieberman // Marketing Coordinator, North America
      Posted July 14, 2011 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Hi Michael,
      Spoke with support they said they have replied back to you and reset your PKC and everything should be working okay now. If not please give support a call, you might have been dialing thier old 800 number. The correct support number is 408 916 9128.
      Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Adrienne

8. Posted July 14, 2011 at 2:10 am | Permalink

Dera sir please give me a idea because I hav lost my phone and. I want to install navigaton in my. New phone. thanks.m.akhtar

• Adrienne Lieberman // Marketing Coordinator, North America
      Posted July 14, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Hi Mohammed,

I just want to clarify, are you trying to transfer your CoPilot Live Premium onto a new device?

Thanks,
      Adrienne

9. marcel
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 8:48 am | Permalink

What I don’t like is the fact I have to key in my canada map upgrade code every time I change ROM’s. I travel 2-3 weeks per month, and depending on where I go, I change my ROM to match local settings and need for certain apps. I have no problem deleting the user cfg and the save directory every time, but there are times when I cannot access data or wifi to download entire maps. I wish there was a way that it would recognize the fact that I have upgraded to canada maps, and have the maps loaded and have signed in with my copilot ID to a legally purchased program with every upgrade possible.
    This is just about enough to get me to stop using the program.