Tips and Tricks: How to Turn Off Background Location on iPhone

When iOS 4 and iPhone 4 made its debut, we quickly released an iPhone update that introduced support for iOS 4 multitasking and background location.  However, many customers discovered that keeping GPS running while using other apps can significantly affect your iPhone’s battery life.   So with the latest iPhone updates for CoPilot Live North America, CoPilot Live USA and CoPilot Live Directions customers, we included a setting that allows you to turn off background location.  Once background location is turned off, CoPilot Live will immediately stop using your iPhone’s GPS receiver when you leave the app.  The moment you go back into CoPilot Live it will connect to GPS again.

Here’s how to turn off background location in CoPilot Live:

• Select MENU > Settings > Background Navigation
  • Uncheck the box next to “Enable Background Navigation”
  • Tap OK

HINT:  If you’re not sure if your GPS is turned off, look at the upper right corner of your Home Screen.   If you see a small arrow then CoPilot Live is still using your GPS receiver.  See image below.

You can of course still close CoPilot Live completely using multitasking (accessed by double clicking the iPhone home button).  For more detail on how to shut down a multitasking app, you can read our blog post that explains how to do this.

If you have any further questions regarding multitasking or background location with iPhone, feel free to ask us here!

And if you haven’t downloaded the latest iPhone update for your CoPilot Live, you can get it through iTunes:

CoPilot Live North America

CoPilot Live USA

CoPilot Live Directions

This entry was posted in CoPilot Premium, Hints and Tips and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Brett
    Posted September 12, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Any idea when this update (which I have read also includes fixes for the “not enough memory for TTS” fix on iPhone 3G) will be available for the Australian version?

• Devon Valenti // Marketing Manager, North America
      Posted September 13, 2010 at 7:20 am | Permalink

Brett,

The update for the Australian version will be available in iTunes for iPhone today.

Thanks,
      Devon

2. David
    Posted September 13, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Why don’t you also simply include a menu option that says “exit” or “close app” that would be the most logical approach here. I spent days trying to turn off the app because I couldn’t get navigation off. I think that most people would think that “Exit
    is more intuitive than double clicking, and then looking for a minus sign on a ribbon bar…..

• Devon Valenti // Marketing Manager, North America
      Posted September 14, 2010 at 9:45 am | Permalink

Hi David,

Thank you for the helpful feedback. As mentioned in the post you can uncheck Enable Background Navigation and use the home button to exit the app exactly how you did before Multitasking was available. You do not need to use the minus sign in the ribbon bar. I hope this helps.

Devon

• Rob
        Posted September 15, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Disabling background navigation and selecting the home button doesn’t exit the app. It merely quits using the Gps receiver. This although being better than before isn’t fully helpful because you are stopping using up valueble memory. The app should exit once the home button is selected if background navigation is disabled

• Devon Valenti // Marketing Manager, North America
          Posted September 16, 2010 at 8:36 am | Permalink

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your feedback and you are correct in that it only exits the use of the GPS receiver and not the app. Please know we’ve designed the current exit functionality based on Apple’s recommended guidelines.

Devon

3. JoeW
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

I would actually like it if background location was running until I reached my destination and was then automatically disabled until I start another trip. If I need to switch out to check an app (e.g. for a restaurant review) and switch back in I would have to wait for Co-pilot to re-acquire and continue the trip. There’s really no reason for the app itself to always have background location on if I’m not actually in the middle of going somewhere.

4. Devon Valenti // Marketing Manager, North America
    Posted September 16, 2010 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Hi JoeW,

In your scenario, when you are switching out to check a restaurant review, are you in the middle of a route or have you completed your route? If you are in the middle of the route, you would just leave Enable Background Navigation checked so you could switch to another app and then continue back to CoPilot Live. Once you complete the route, you could just shut down the app completely as you don’t need it to navigate any longer.

Am I understanding your question correctly?

Devon

5. Chuck
    Posted September 17, 2010 at 6:46 am | Permalink

I travel a lot and the app works great, but I have to agree that when you arrive at the destination, the app should stop background navigation. My Garmin works this way. I have countless times had the app tell me to take a turn during a meeting!
    I like the background navigation, especially when I take a call so would prefer not to turn it off.
    I also agree there should be an “exit” feature or “Stop Navigation” feature or button.
    Overall, a very good app with the iPhone 4.

6. Devon Valenti // Marketing Manager, North America
    Posted September 17, 2010 at 7:13 am | Permalink

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the feedback on background navigation. We are getting a lot of great feedback on background nav functionality and will definitely take it into account for future updates.

Glad you are enjoying CoPilot Live on your iPhone 4.

Devon