Tips and Tricks: Multi-stop trip planning and optimization

With summer in full swing, it’s the perfect time to take a road trip with friends and family.  There are some wonderful outdoor concerts, amusement parks, festivals and sporting events to enjoy.  Although, if you’re on the East Coast like us, make sure you pack lots of water and a hat or umbrella.  We’re in the middle of a heat wave and it looks like we’re in for triple-digit temperatures over the next few days!

Nowadays your closest friends and family may not live just down the street, or even in the same town.

With CoPilot Live navigating your road trip, picking up everyone is one less thing you need to worry about.  With the handy Multiple Stops feature, you can plan the journey to your ultimate destination with pick up points along the way—so nobody needs to miss the excursion. And with the ability to enter more than 20 stops or waypoints and optimize the route for the most efficient way to go, it may be time to hire the stretch limo after all…

Here’s how to create a multi-stop trip (CoPilot Live 7 and v8 users ):

• Within your CoPilot Live, go to Menu > Plan or Edit Trip > Add Stop  (see screenshot below)
  • Choose the destination entry method from the menu selection and repeat process until all stops have been added
  • Once all your stops are loaded, you can optimize to find the best route by tapping Options > Optimize Stops  (see screenshot below)

If you prefer to manually reorder your route for the journey (in case you would rather not have your cousin that sings along to EVERY song on the radio in the front seat) simply tap the ‘stop’ you want to move and use the arrows on the left hand side to move the position of the stop up (or in this case down!) within the journey profile.

Have a great time, stay cool and remember the sunblock!

This entry was posted in Hints and Tips and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Paul Thompson
    Posted July 9, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

This sounds neat. Oh wait… Can’t use this because 1 month and a half in and you STILL have not fixed CoPilot for Android 2.2. Gotta love paying for software that just doesn’t work.

• Devon Valenti // Marketing Manager, North America
      Posted July 13, 2010 at 9:25 am | Permalink

Hi Paul,

The Android update to support Froyo was released yesterday. If you purchased your CoPilot Live on the Android Market, you can get the latest app update (v8.2.0.218) from the Android Market.

Thanks,
      Devon

2. Jeff Carpenter
    Posted July 9, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

Multi-point routing is a great feature of CoPilot Live. The only problem with it is that it doesn’t show you your ETA at your destination unless you set your stops as waypoints. But if you set your stops as waypoints that causes another problem. When CoPilot does its recalculation process periodically during the route, if you have waypoints set in the route, the “calculating route” progess bar stays stuck on the screen perpetually, hiding your ETA information. The only way to clear it is to close CoPilot and open it again.

• Devon Valenti // Marketing Manager, North America
      Posted July 13, 2010 at 9:28 am | Permalink

Thanks Jeff. We are aware of that issue and have advised Development that it is something we need to improve in the future.

As always, thank you for your extremely helpful feedback!

3. Jeff
    Posted July 10, 2010 at 5:06 am | Permalink

I sometimes am driving along a CoPilot route but (as a passenger) want to scroll the map around to look at something nearby or to pick a point as a waypoint. The only problem is that when I manually scroll the map, a moment later CoPilot (understandably) automatically re-centers the map on my current location. This prevents me from doing anything else.

Is there some way to tell CoPilot that if I manually scroll the map, to NOT re-center its position automatically until I tell it it’s time to go back to that default mode of operation?

Thanks.

4. Jeff
    Posted July 10, 2010 at 5:09 am | Permalink

Regarding POIs along (or near) a route: Very useful feature but I must be missing something — when I tell it to display a map showing the POIs along or on my route, it dutifully shows a map with the POIs, but I do NOT see a depiction of my route, or my current location along that route. That make it very hard to determine which POIs I might want to stop at.

Is there any way to display my route and location on the POI map?

Thanks.

5. julien
    Posted August 29, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

I’m trying to plan a route by post code or city. It suppose to offer some alternatives while I’m typing. Instead even if I enter a postal code it does nothing. GPS shows my current position on map but nothing else