Tips and Tricks: Keep Your Maps Up-to-date

We are continuously working to enhance our map data to provide the best possible navigation experience with CoPilot Live North America and CoPilot Live Directions.  So of course, we want to make sure you’re using it!  Here are 3 reminders on what you can do to make sure you always have the latest maps guiding your way.

1.        Download our free quarterly full map updates

As part of our MapSure™ service we provide you will the very latest map of the North America road network as a free download every quarter.   If you haven’t already, be sure to download the latest North America map data which includes over 15,000 miles of new roads and hundreds of map improvements submitted by the CoPilot Live user community.

Here’s how to get the latest quarterly map update:

• For iPhone customers:  You can download the latest free Quarterly map update via the latest application update in your iTunes – Version 8.0.0.659 which was released on March 12, 2010.
  • For CoPilot Live Directions customers: You can download the latest free Quarterly map update directly from your phone using CoPilot Live Directions.  Within CoPilot Live, go to MENU > Get Maps
  • For Windows Mobile & Android customers:  Download your free full map update using the latest version of CoPilot Central 2.0 desktop companion software. You can download and install CoPilot Central 2.0 from http://www.alk.com/copilot/central/.   The latest North America maps will have the Release Date:  March 3, 2010.  Make sure you also have the latest version of CoPilot Live for your Windows Mobile or Android device.  You can also download the latest version of maps directly from your phone using CoPilot Live.  Within CoPilot Live, go to MENU> Get Maps

2.       Check for free monthly map maintenance updates

Another feature of MapSure is our free monthly map maintenance updates downloaded straight to your CoPilot Live via the mobile web or WiFi.  These include emergency road closures and updates reported by users like you.   You can download the latest map maintenance updates directly from your device.

• Go to MENU > Updates and tap “Check for Updates”

*Please note you MUST have the latest Quarterly Map update (mentioned above) on your CoPilot Live for the map maintenance updates to work.

3.        Report Map Updates

And lastly, you can help us improve specific areas more quickly by reporting changes and recommending updates here.   If you notice a road or address that you believe needs updating, you can report it directly to us.  We will verify the information, add it to our maps and distribute it, along with other changes, to everyone through an update within 45 days.

And while we are on the topic of map update requests, one important thing to note.  Our office in New Jersey  experienced a power outage during the storm that hit the state pretty hard last week.  If you submitted a map update request between Saturday, March 13th and Tuesday, March 16th—we ask that you resubmit your request to make sure we received it.  We want to be absolutely sure your map update is included in the next monthly maintenance update!   Thank you.

This entry was posted in Hints and Tips and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted March 23, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Geez, everytime I see blogs this good I just want mine to be there already! :) Great work.

2. F Clifton
    Posted March 23, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

Using CoPilot Central 2.0. I start the app, the Welcome screen has the text “Stuff available for your Generic account!” and a globe with an arrow and text “Download Maps”. Clicking on the globe brings up a Map Data screen with a list of continents. I click on North America and the screen still says Map Data, and a box that says North America and “Includes: North America Map Upgrade” and “Release Date: March 03, 2010″. At the bottom is a smaller box that says “New Version Available” with a price of $29.99. That doesn’t seem like a free download! Am I missing something here???

• Devon Valenti // Marketing Manager
      Posted March 24, 2010 at 6:16 am | Permalink

Hello,

The $29.99 will only show if you are not licensed for North America data already. On the Map Data Home screen, do you see North America or any of the regions listed in blue? If not it means you are not licensed to that data. If you are licensed for the North America Data (and it appears in blue) then you would not see a price–only a Download button.

Let me know if you need additional help.

Thanks,
      Devon

3. F Clifton
    Posted March 24, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

On the Map Data Home screen, North America is indeed listed in blue. Yet I still see a price. In fact, I am using the North America data on my phone so CoPilot Live certainly thinks NA is licensed. I tried downloading the map for all of NA on my phone but it failed with a message saying I didn’t have enough memory. I tried downloading just Minnesota and it failed saying that the download failed. I have switched phones once, and also re-installed a couple of times on the current phone. Maybe that has gotten something confused?

• Devon Valenti // Marketing Manager
      Posted March 25, 2010 at 6:32 am | Permalink

The device switching may be an issue. I need to look into this further. Would you be able to email me your device type and CoPilot ID and password. We can take a look on our end. My email is dvalenti@alk.com

Thanks,
      Devon

4. Shayne Jones
    Posted March 30, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Hey! Where are all of these neat features for the CoPilot Live for Laptops? I bought this program about 3 years ago for several reasons. One of which was for a large display which I got. What I did not bargain for was the fact that it is not a true windows-compatible product and that I would not be able to update it online (ridiculous!).

What gives? Have you decided to totally ignore this line and let it die?

Sincerely,
    J. Shayne Jones

5. Devon Valenti // Marketing Manager
    Posted April 5, 2010 at 6:01 am | Permalink

Hi Shayne,

Thanks for the comment. I forwarded your feedback to our Laptop Solutions team.

Devon